Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

claricesarmento

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2020
Hello!

I have a MacBook Pro 2010 OS X 10.6.8 and I'm trying to update it to El Capitan so I can get some programmes that I need but literally nothing seems to work.

When I try to write the command that I found on Apple's website, the terminal says that the command was not found. I have already changed the dates in my computer and I'm running out of links available on the internet to get help. Have watched many videos, have read many things and I'm getting kinda desperate. I would really appreciate if some of you could help me. Thank you so much xx

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I think you are trying (and failing) to make a bootable installer from your downloaded El Capitan installer?

It's easy (and very common) to mis-type in the terminal.
Show us a screen shot of your terminal window showing the command as you typed it, and the resulting error

claricesarmento

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2020
Exactly what command did you try?
Did you follow the instructions on this page to download the El Capitan installer?

Yes, I followed every step of this but it didn't work. I tried to use the command that is listed for El Capitan on Apple's page, changing only the name of my usb

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Yes, I followed every step of this but it didn't work. I tried to use the command that is listed for El Capitan on Apple's page, changing only the name of my usb
If your computer is already running, you don’t need to run any commands, just go to the Applications folder and run the El Capitan installer, and it will upgrade your existing operating system.
As for “it didn’t work,” we need to know exactly what you typed, and exactly what the errors were.

claricesarmento

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2020
I think you are trying (and failing) to make a bootable installer from your downloaded El Capitan installer?

It's easy (and very common) to mis-type in the terminal.
Show us a screen shot of your terminal window showing the command as you typed it, and the resulting error

Yes, I'm trying to make a bootable installar but can't go through with it.
I can't show you the screenshot right now because I don't have it here with me, but I copied the command, so I think the chances of it being wrong are low.
When I press return, I get the command not found message, although everything's right with it. I tried opening the installer to, but I get a message saying that I can't install that version
[automerge]1589759126[/automerge]
If your computer is already running, you don’t need to run any commands, just go to the Applications folder and run the El Capitan installer, and it will upgrade your existing operating system.
As for “it didn’t work,” we need to know exactly what you typed, and exactly what the errors were.

When I go to the applications folder and run the El Capitan installer, I get a message saying that it can't install on my computer.

To make a bootable installer I copied the command given by Apple on their page and got "command not found"

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Which page did you find that command - was that here?

Do have the actual installer app (which is named Install OS X El Capitan.app) and, for that command to work, must be in your Applications folder.
The name of your target drive has to be exactly correct. If your target boot partition is named something different, you must change the command to reflect that exact name.
The Applicationpath has to show precisely the file path to the installer app.
(I recommend not using copy/paste in this instance, as it is too easy to be wrong about something (such as the target drive name). I much prefer to type the entire command, or (even better) to drag the items that you need for the command directly into the terminal window. You don't need to worry about mis-typing a long folder path, for example )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.