Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beliblis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2011
Hi,

I just purchased a series 4 watch. It's currently on Watch OS 5.13 and I would like to update to at least 5.2 so I can use the ECG function here in the UK.
Admittedly, my iPhone 5s is a grandpa by today's standards. But I don't feel the need for a new phone, and it runs iOS 12.4.2 perfectly well for my needs.

When I try to do a Software Update in the Watch App, I get the message "you first need to update the software on your iPhone". Well – it IS updated to the latest available OS, and Watch OS 5.2 came out way before iOS 12.4.2
I did a search, and it seems other people had the same problem in the past. Phone and watch are paired fine, everything else in Watch App works. I tried rebooting both devices – but no success.

Can someone here help?

Many thanks!

ZebraDude

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2014
Naperville, IL
Hi,

I just purchased a series 4 watch. It's currently on Watch OS 5.13 and I would like to update to at least 5.2 so I can use the ECG function here in the UK.
Admittedly, my iPhone 5s is a grandpa by today's standards. But I don't feel the need for a new phone, and it runs iOS 12.4.2 perfectly well for my needs.

When I try to do a Software Update in the Watch App, I get the message "you first need to update the software on your iPhone". Well – it IS updated to the latest available OS, and Watch OS 5.2 came out way before iOS 12.4.2
I did a search, and it seems other people had the same problem in the past. Phone and watch are paired fine, everything else in Watch App works. I tried rebooting both devices – but no success.

Can someone here help?

Many thanks!

Is your Series 4 GPS only or GPS + LTE?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
You don’t have to update your phone if you don’t want to. But as the message says, you cannot update your watch unless you do. Apple wants people on the latest software, so after a short period they no longer let you install old versions. It’s your choice--update to iOS 13 and watchOS 6 or stay on iOS 12 and watchOS 5.

Actarus

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2011
Same problem here, it's not a matter of choosing the OS since I have iPhone 6 that cannot be updated to IOS 13, then when I try to update my watch S3 to latest OS 5 it says that the iPhone should be updated first, wich is riciculous. Any way of doing it? I think that if a phone cannot be updated, linked watches should update to the last available version that pairs with phone version.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
Seems to me like Apple has stopped signing WatchOS 5.2 or something like that. As you say, you should be able to update to the latest WatchOS for the iOS running on the paired iPhone.

Beliblis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2011
You don’t have to update your phone if you don’t want to. But as the message says, you cannot update your watch unless you do. Apple wants people on the latest software, so after a short period they no longer let you install old versions. It’s your choice--update to iOS 13 and watchOS 6 or stay on iOS 12 and watchOS 5.

I think you misunderstood my question. It's not about watchOS 5 or 6, it's about watchOS 5.2+
The iOS currently installed on my phone was released way after watchOS 5.2, meaning: this is a bug, and clearly not intended by Apple.

I contacted Apple via chat on their website, and the Apple rep's answer was:
"Our software engineers are aware of the issue and are working on a fix." (...) "Everyone on iOS 12.4.2 with a watchOS below 5.3.2 is affected. I’m not sure when we’ll resolve it — but typically we are pretty quick. Right now it’s been a problem since September 23 from what I understand."

Only question now is – are they really as quick as he says?
Toying with the idea of changing phone to an iPhone SE. (Never really liked large phones).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.