Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Herby Sherby

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2020
I have two Macs. One is a year old and up to date with OS etc. The other is still running El Capitan, as I have been using Photoshop and the CS4 Suite, which requires 32 bit processing. As soon as I upgrade, it will switch to 64 and I will lose it. I can't afford the ridiculous subscription as an occasional user and as I am now proficient with Affinity ( the Mac alternative to Photoshop) the time has come to upgrade my OS. I am now having a lot of problems with my old search engine versions of Safari and Firefox and so I wanted to upgrade to Catalina.

My Mac is Mac Pro ( early 2008).
Processor 2x3.2 GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon
Memory os 16GB
Fusion Drive
Graphics ATI Radeon HD 5870
Free storage on Fusion is 628GB
Free storage on H Disc is 117 GB

When I go to the App store and try and download Catalina, I get a message stating "This version of macOS 10.15.7 cannot be installed on this computer.” When I press the “ Learn More” icon nothing happens. I am running Safari Version 11.1.2 (11605.3.8.1)

I am a musician and not that knowledgeable on the serious computing technical side, but I was under the impression I can’t simply upgrade Safari on its own? I think it needs to be supported with the new OS software? Anyway, I want to upgrade and wondered if anyone on the forum could help me please?

Thanks Herby

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
El Captain is the highest version officially supported on an Early 2008 Mac Pro. That’s the reason you see that error.

I understand that “there are ways” to get a higher version but I’m not familiar with the process. I’d guess a question in the “Early Intel Macs” forum would get you the information.

surszki

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2022
try it here:

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Yes, Catalina will not run on your Mac Pro.
here is a great informative video on how to install dosdudes patcher for Catalina.
I used these to resurrect a MacBook Air 2010 a few years ago.

I hoped this helped since I still use CS4 and Affinity as well,
seems to me that affinity 9is affordable but the commands and tools are too cluttered compared to CS4.

Herby Sherby

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2020
El Captain is the highest version officially supported on an Early 2008 Mac Pro. That’s the reason you see that error.

I understand that “there are ways” to get a higher version but I’m not familiar with the process. I’d guess a question in the “Early Intel Macs” forum would get you the information.
Thanks - that's starting to explain - I will try the other forum.

Herby Sherby

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2020
Yes, Catalina will not run on your Mac Pro.
here is a great informative video on how to install dosdudes patcher for Catalina.
I used these to resurrect a MacBook Air 2010 a few years ago.

I hoped this helped since I still use CS4 and Affinity as well,
seems to me that affinity 9is affordable but the commands and tools are too cluttered compared to CS4.
Thanks so much - this is a great help.

Reactions: MBAir2010
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.