Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dixie Dude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2014
For some reason my MacBook Pro mod 2009 won’t upgrade. I’ve tried just about everything.

I need iTunes to set up an iPhone X from my back up. I was able to back up my iPhone 7 with the iTunes I have.

Any help would be appreciated.

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Which OS are you using? The minimum OS for iTunes 12.7 is Yosemite (10.10).
Your 2009 MBP should support up to El Capitan (10.11).

EDIT: Disregard my stupid question. I just realized this is the Mavericks forum, so my question is answered. You need to upgrade your OS to Yosemite or El Capitan to install iTunes 12.7 from the Mac App Store.

Last edited:

Dixie Dude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2014
I have been trying since yesterday to upgrade to either of those. Havent had any luck. When it asks to verify on install, I cant because the wifi or Ethernet wont seem to work.

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
I have been trying since yesterday to upgrade to either of those. Havent had any luck. When it asks to verify on install, I cant because the wifi or Ethernet wont seem to work.
I don't understand what the error is that you are getting. Could you provide more information on the process you are using? Have you previously downloaded the full Yosemite or El Capitan installer app from the Mac App Store?

Yosemite is no longer available from the App Store if you have not previously downloaded it.
Here is a link to download El Capitan from the App Store that might work for you:
https://itunes.apple.com/app/os-x-el-capitan/id1147835434?mt=12

EDIT: Make sure you have a good backup of your Mavericks system before doing any new OS upgrade, just in case there is a problem or you want to revert back to Mavericks.

Last edited:

Dixie Dude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2014
I’ll try again with El Capitan. When it restarts the laptop, it comes to a box that gives me an option to select. Restore from back up. Install clean version of os. Help desk and disk utility I believe. ]That’s where I dead end, at that box. This MacBook Pro has been sorting for almost two years with no use.
[doublepost=1510025670][/doublepost]It wont let my download el captian.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Are you starting to a bootable installer for El Capitan?
By that, I mean that you have downloaded the El Capitan installer, then used THAT to create a bootable partition?
Ideal is to use a USB flash drive for that. You can use terminal steps to make that external installer, or use one of the good apps that makes the process easy, such as DiskMakerX, Boot Buddy, or Install Disk Creator.
Any of those apps make the task easy.
And, when you boot to your installer, you will get that same set of choices. And --- you should choose "Reinstall OS X"
I have done this process literally dozens of times, and the OS X reinstall should be the correct choice for you to use.

If you still have problems connecting to internet (could still happen), then I suggest that you try connecting to your router directly, with an ethernet cable.

Dixie Dude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2014
Tried Ethernet, still doesn’t work. It won’t let me download capitan from the AppStore. Keeps saying the recovery server could not be contacted. Not using a bootable installer, I think. Just downloaded it from AppStore and tried installing.

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
I’ll try again with El Capitan. When it restarts the laptop, it comes to a box that gives me an option to select. Restore from back up. Install clean version of os. Help desk and disk utility I believe. ]That’s where I dead end, at that box. This MacBook Pro has been sorting for almost two years with no use. It wont let my download el captian.
Tried Ethernet, still doesn’t work. It won’t let me download capitan from the AppStore. Keeps saying the recovery server could not be contacted. Not using a bootable installer, I think. Just downloaded it from AppStore and tried installing.
It sounds like your Mac is starting up to the Recovery partition with the choices you listed. Do you see a window similar to picture on this link?:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

Do you also see a picture of a globe when starting up similar to this?:

internet_recovery.jpg

If yes, then it would indicate it is starting to Internet Recovery.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The OPs 2009 MBPro is not capable of booting to internet recovery. Hardware is too old.
So, is just rebooting by means of the installer app.

OP, you really should try making a bootable installer. It's simple to do that, and you will have an installer that you can use, just in case you need to erase your hard drive completely.

@Dixie Dude - you said that you can't download the El Capitan installer from the App Store, yet you also say that you downloaded the installer app from the App Store. So --- I am confused.
If you can download the installer app (it will be more than 6GB, so takes some time), then DON'T use that app to install, just quit when the installer automatically launches, then create a bootable installer from that app.
Again, it is simple to do that. A 16GB USB flash drive would be ideal for that use.

Dixie Dude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2014
I got a 16 gig drive. Tried using disk maker and says it can’t find it, even when I selected it.
[doublepost=1510072584][/doublepost]I tried making a bootable disk for high sierra, but get a 10006 error.

Dixie Dude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2014
update, i think i have el capitan on a USB. it did give me an error 10006, but appears to be on there, when i click on it, it says not suitable form of install. trying to figure out how to start up and select the boot disk
[doublepost=1510078747][/doublepost]Still no luck. Would ha king a dead battery cause these issues?

El Capitan - usb says not acceptable form of install. Using the app gives me an error when trying to restart laptop

High Sierra- when restarts can’t verify server.

That’s where I’m at now.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The 10006-error often happens for me, too. I simply try a second time, which usually works. You may find that works successfully on the second try.
If you continue to get the same error, try renaming your flash drive, then try again.

And, a more trouble-free install would be with one of the other apps. Try Install Disk Creator instead.

Dixie Dude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2014
I was able to make a boot for El Capitan, but it’s still giving me an area when it’s done installing, saying to try again. I may try Sierra.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.