Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BoomerM3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2019
Florida
I'm running iOS 13 public beta 2 on an iPad Pro (11" 2018). I want to be able to read and write to my WD Passport 1Tb drive (formatted NTFS). Plugging it in, I see the power light on the drive but nothing on the iPad.

I have tested it with several cables - no effect. I assume it's getting power. I don't know what the limitations of the iOS Beta are. What cable/adapter should I be using?

Any ideas on what to do next?

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
I'm running iOS 13 public beta 2 on an iPad Pro (11" 2018). I want to be able to read and write to my WD Passport 1Tb drive (formatted NTFS). Plugging it in, I see the power light on the drive but nothing on the iPad.

I have tested it with several cables - no effect. I assume it's getting power. I don't know what the limitations of the iOS Beta are. What cable/adapter should I be using?

USB access is currently broken in PB2/DB3. Hang on until next week and see if it's working then.

Elwe

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2006

Wait, NTFS? Was that filesystem expected to be added to the supported list? It certainly did not work with the previous beta.

roncron

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2011
I’m running PB2 on a 2017 10.5” iPad Pro. Tried plugging my usb thumb drive in using the Apple usb camera connection dongle. The iPad wouldn’t recognize it. Tried the same with my XS Max which also is running 13PB2. Same result, except also got a message that the usb accessory needed too much power.

I hope future betas allow external drive connection without an external power source.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Wait, NTFS? Was that filesystem expected to be added to the supported list? It certainly did not work with the previous beta.

I missed that in the OP. NTFS isn't supported for read or write.

Elwe

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2006
I hope future betas allow external drive connection without an external power source.

It might get (somewhat) better. It seems Apple has the ability to adjust the level via software. But to be crystal clear, it will never be the same as what the newer iPads Pro support. The Lightening connector simply is not physically capable (i.e., its inherit standard) of carry as much power. It is one of the major reasons Apple move to USB-C. You might think all thumb drives use very low power, but that is not always the case. And some do not meet certain standards for voltage.

Question—are you using the USB 3 capable camera kit? Because Apple sells (or at least sold) one that is USB 2.0. Regardless of speed, it seems people are having different experiences between the two using the exact same thumb drive. If you scan YouTube and the forums here, you will find at least a couple combinations that work with Lightening iPads and the above connector. Definitely not as easy to find a workable setup compared with USB-C iPads.

Last edited:
Reactions: roncron

DeanL

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2014
London
The iPad Pro can supply up to 12W to an external device using USB-C.
Tried to charge my iPhone XS Max from the iPad and the maximum power I saw on my v-meter was about 12W

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.