Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KevinSR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 29, 2024
Hi all, hopefully one of you gurus can help me with this. I'm trying to download the videos from my security cameras to my 2020 MacBook Air m1. I'm using an Apple branded SD Card Reader, brand new with new class 20 SDXC SD micro cards. The first time I plugged in the adapter it showed up in the sidebar of the Finder. Then I formatted the cards in the cameras per the manufacturer's intructions, (Fat32) recorded some videos and now the adapter no longer shows up and the computer says the cards are unreadable. I have no problem using other external storage like flash drives. This is the second set of cameras, cards and the second adapter I've tried. Is something about the way the cards are formatting rendering them unusable in a computer? If that's the case what good is local, removable storage?

Last edited:

KevinSR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 29, 2024
Hi all, hopefully one of you gurus can help me with this. I'm trying to download the videos from my security cameras to my 2020 MacBook Air m1. I'm using an Apple branded SD Card Reader, brand new with new class 20 SDXC SD micro cards. The first time I plugged in the adapter it showed up in the sidebar of the Finder. Then I formatted the cards in the cameras per the manufacturer's intructions, (Fat32) recorded some videos and now the adapter no longer shows up and the computer says the cards are unreadable. I have no problem using other external storage like flash drives. This is the second set of cameras, cards and the second adapter I've tried. Is something about the way the cards are formatting rendering them unusable in a computer? If that's the case what good is local, removable storage?
Found out what was going on in case anybody else is curious. The manufacturer of the cameras encrypts the videos so they can only be viewed on their software online. So basically yet another tech company is owning our stuff after we've paid them for their product.

Reactions: jazz1

RRC

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2020
Found out what was going on in case anybody else is curious. The manufacturer of the cameras encrypts the videos so they can only be viewed on their software online. So basically yet another tech company is owning our stuff after we've paid them for their product.
What camera was it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.