Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

to1986

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2009
I have the Tado smart thermostat and smart radiator valves. I also have some of the Philips Hue motion sensors which have temperature sensors. I have noticed when creating automations if I want a thermostat in a particular room to detect a drop in temperature I can’t then select that thermostat again to adjust the temperature. For instance tado thermostat in Dining room detects temperature falling below X degrees, I can’t then select the same dining room thermostat to increase the temperature, but I can add thermostats in other rooms. The only way around this is to create a scene, but then it reduces the control I have unless I create scenes for every situation and different temperature that I want.

Has anyone else noticed this? Have I got the settings wrong somewhere or is there a better workaround?

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
I have the Tado smart thermostat and smart radiator valves. I also have some of the Philips Hue motion sensors which have temperature sensors. I have noticed when creating automations if I want a thermostat in a particular room to detect a drop in temperature I can’t then select that thermostat again to adjust the temperature. For instance tado thermostat in Dining room detects temperature falling below X degrees, I can’t then select the same dining room thermostat to increase the temperature, but I can add thermostats in other rooms. The only way around this is to create a scene, but then it reduces the control I have unless I create scenes for every situation and different temperature that I want.

Has anyone else noticed this? Have I got the settings wrong somewhere or is there a better workaround?
I’ve never messed with thermostat automations, but isn’t what you described how a thermostat already works without any extra automatons?

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I’ve never messed with thermostat automations, but isn’t what you described how a thermostat already works without any extra automatons?
Yeah, I am confused by the scenario.

If a thermostat is set at X degrees, and the temperature changes (beyond its threshold), the thermostat, by definition, should turn on the HVAC to bring it back to X.

Maybe something I am missing?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.