Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 8, 2015
NY
It treats my Elgato HD60S+ as a webcam. As far as I know, FaceTime is the only app I can use it in. And it’s unfortunately backwards, no sound, and takes up the whole screen. But, there’s very little to no latency from what I can tell.

Attached a (pretty bad) video showing it. I have a Safari window blocking my FaceTime contacts.

Whoops, I guess the video didn’t upload right. I’ll put it on YouTube.

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 8, 2015
NY
And my attempt with it on the external display. I‘m not sure if it’s choppy here because I have The HD60S connected through my monitor’s hub or if it’s just an iPad thing (edit: was because it wasn’t getting enough power in my monitor’s USB port). On a Mac, it tells me it doesn’t get enough power through here.

Edit: One last test with my USB-C hub. I have the HD60S+ connected directly into that, then HDMI out to my monitor. The video preview from the capture card is working at full speed on the external screen.
IMG_8352.jpeg

Last edited:

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 8, 2015
NY
Nice. Is it able to record like OBS. (Record through screen recorder with audio?
Unfortunately audio doesn’t pass through, at least through to the FaceTime app preview. I tried a few other apps, just doesn’t seem like any others will detect an external camera right now. And the picture is mirrored (like other posts with external cameras), I can’t seem to find a way to un-mirror it. And the FaceTime app tries to fill the whole screen with the picture, so it’s cropped no matter the size of the window.

I’ll attempt a FaceTime call with someone in a bit to see if audio at least goes through. I’m kind of hoping some developer can just fix all the problems with it and make a good OBS substitute with it.

Reactions: hovscorpion12

islade

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2014
Worked perfectly in facetime with both:
  • Fujifilm X-H2 in 'webcam' mode directly connected
  • Sony FX6 via generic (j5 create) HDMI to USB WebCam dongle (like a camlink)
I'm keen to try it on some other apps 🔥

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 8, 2015
NY
Another little update. I figured out how to FaceTime myself. Video is correct on the person‘s device being Facetime’d. And sound passes through. Sound is playing through my iPhone in this video. Without a dedicated app for this, this is probably as far as I could go with testing this.

Edit:
Apparently getting a little more attention now. Technical Marketing Manager at Elgato tweeted about it -
And The Verge also mentioned it - https://www.theverge.com/2023/6/7/23752140/ipad-external-usb-webcam-camera-support-ipados-17

Edit 2: https://www.reddit.com/r/ipad/comments/145h1a6 Someone actually released something that makes it work perfectly. I’ve definitely tested it. It’s basic but it works.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.