Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mashdup

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2023
Hi there,

I am a solo developer and Capturino is an app that uses iOS 17 UVC feature. I have been building this since the betas and saw another very similar to mine. While both apps can do the same (use the iPad as a screen), mine was geared towards a photography tool.

So using a USB-C video capture card (around $20 or £15), any HDMI device, be it a console or camera, can take advantage of the iPad's screen to display the output with minimal lag (around 50ms depending on the capture card).

Some use cases I have done are using it as a portable screen for my handheld console while camping, external monitor for my camera, screen for my RPi, screen for a headless server I have tucked in my cupboard when I lost SSH access.

What what this app apart are some nice photography features. Such as:
- Gridline overlay
- Real time Histogram (RGBA)
- Real time Preset and Custom LUT color grading

A small, but nice feature is an input volume control. But the app allows sound to be mixed with other apps too. So music and gaming if you wish.

Performance wise, I used Apple's Metal API for Real time LUT color grading, which performs the full 3D filter on the fly. This resulted in low energy use to help battery consumption. In my testing for playing games on it, it performed like if you were to watch a movie, I achieved 6+ hours with about 25% battery to spare.

I invite you to test the App, feel free to send me feedback and any feature requests. See usage in the videos.

Last edited:

Flashtennis

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2023
Hi,

I’m guessing that this doesn’t work unless iOS 17 is installed? I’m trying to download iOS 17 now but I guess I’m going to have to wait for the release in a couple of weeks :-/

mashdup

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2023
Yeah, the app needs to be on iOS 17. Since posting, I have added many more features.

Here is a very rough video of the features

Tonestire

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2023
South Kingstown, RI, USA
Good afternoon mashdup, With the current release of Ipados 17 I would love to try out your app. Can you please tell me how to obtain it, or it you have a invite code you could send me that would be great!

Thank you,

libertunas

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2023
Hi there, i've downloaded your app and tried it with a lot of device.
With all of them i'm experiencing no audio, also if it is enabled, on obs it works fine with the same capture card.

Some suggestion?

Tonestire

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2023
South Kingstown, RI, USA
Hi there, i've downloaded your app and tried it with a lot of device.
With all of them i'm experiencing no audio, also if it is enabled, on obs it works fine with the same capture card.

Some suggestion?
Hi Libertunas,

Can you tell me where to download the app? I can’t find it anywhere and thought with the release of ipados17 it would appear in the App Store.

OnePieceIsReal

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2023
Hi there,

I am a solo developer and Capturino is an app that uses iOS 17 UVC feature. I have been building this since the betas and saw another very similar to mine. While both apps can do the same (use the iPad as a screen), mine was geared towards a photography tool.

So using a USB-C video capture card (around $20 or £15), any HDMI device, be it a console or camera, can take advantage of the iPad's screen to display the output with minimal lag (around 50ms depending on the capture card).

Some use cases I have done are using it as a portable screen for my handheld console while camping, external monitor for my camera, screen for my RPi, screen for a headless server I have tucked in my cupboard when I lost SSH access.

What what this app apart are some nice photography features. Such as:
- Gridline overlay
- Real time Histogram (RGBA)
- Real time Preset and Custom LUT color grading

A small, but nice feature is an input volume control. But the app allows sound to be mixed with other apps too. So music and gaming if you wish.

Performance wise, I used Apple's Metal API for Real time LUT color grading, which performs the full 3D filter on the fly. This resulted in low energy use to help battery consumption. In my testing for playing games on it, it performed like if you were to watch a movie, I achieved 6+ hours with about 25% battery to spare.

I invite you to test the App, feel free to send me feedback and any feature requests. See usage in the videos.

View attachment 2249760
View attachment 2249759

View attachment 2249758
will you be adding anamorphic desqueeze also i need a 1.6x desqueeze

libertunas

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2023
Hi Libertunas,

Can you tell me where to download the app? I can’t find it anywhere and thought with the release of ipados17 it would appear in the App Store.
It's a beta. You can try it trought testflight and searching for the downloading link.

OnePieceIsReal

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2023
I will add this to an update. Are there any other ratios that you need? 1.33x?
honestly no; but others might. I personally am using a A7IV with a sirui 35mm x1.6 squeeze at 16:9. it’s cool that you asked. atm i’m using accsoon seemo while it supports many squeeze factor sadly 1.6 you have to manually add it, also do you still have any slots open for testflight; i do lots of photography and videos and would like to give suggestions for your app . I do the same for accsoon seemo too

aviegas

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2019
localhost.localdomain
Really nice, specially if compared with the other options (some already on the App Store).
I've used with adapters with Macrosilicon's MS2109 and MS2130 without any major issue, as well as one Elgato CamLink 4K (a little picky this one).
One of the issues with sending macOS screens to any of the Macrosilicon based UVCs is that it will require either a LUT on the iPad side or an ICC profile (after calibration) on the Mac side. I've tried a custom LUT but I could not make it load any of the common extensions. So some help here (extension, format) would do wonders.

mashdup

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2023
Really nice, specially if compared with the other options (some already on the App Store).
I've used with adapters with Macrosilicon's MS2109 and MS2130 without any major issue, as well as one Elgato CamLink 4K (a little picky this one).
One of the issues with sending macOS screens to any of the Macrosilicon based UVCs is that it will require either a LUT on the iPad side or an ICC profile (after calibration) on the Mac side. I've tried a custom LUT but I could not make it load any of the common extensions. So some help here (extension, format) would do wonders.
Thanks for testing this out. The app is now in the app store and I have made lots of changes since the final test build. Mostly around performance and few features. But main one for you is the ability to load cube or davlut files directly. This means, you do not need to mess around with PNG, which can be fiddly to get right.

I also have a MACSILICON UVC card too. Here is the lut I use (attached)

Here is a promo link for the pro features, feel free to share this promo.

App store link here

Attachments

• srgb2P3.cube.zip
    49.5 KB · Views: 37

aviegas

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2019
localhost.localdomain
Thanks for the info.
However, even with the App Store version I can't get it to open the LUT. The .cube file is disabled for selection. I can only get PNG files to be selected.

mashdup

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2023
Thanks for the info.
However, even with the App Store version I can't get it to open the LUT. The .cube file is disabled for selection. I can only get PNG files to be selected.
Can you send me your cube file? I will see if I can debug it. It should show up if you select custom and be one of the allowed selections.

mashdup

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2023
honestly no; but others might. I personally am using a A7IV with a sirui 35mm x1.6 squeeze at 16:9. it’s cool that you asked. atm i’m using accsoon seemo while it supports many squeeze factor sadly 1.6 you have to manually add it, also do you still have any slots open for testflight; i do lots of photography and videos and would like to give suggestions for your app . I do the same for accsoon seemo too

Just an update, I am working on your request on a desqueeze. Here is an image of the development progress. The app is now capable to apply a scale to achieve the desqueeze. The usual pinch to zoom etc still applies, so you can pan around the video feed too.

The images on the mac and the iPad are the same, which is how I am testing this.

Next is to build some controls around it, so you can customise the scale etc with some presets.

For now, I do have a promo code for first month pro free https://apps.apple.com/redeem?ctx=offercodes&id=6456888175&code=FIRST1000

Disclaimer, this photo is not mine.

Screenshot 2023-09-29 at 17.54.41.png

OnePieceIsReal

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2023
Just an update, I am working on your request on a desqueeze. Here is an image of the development progress. The app is now capable to apply a scale to achieve the desqueeze. The usual pinch to zoom etc still applies, so you can pan around the video feed too.

The images on the mac and the iPad are the same, which is how I am testing this.

Next is to build some controls around it, so you can customise the scale etc with some presets.

For now, I do have a promo code for first month pro free https://apps.apple.com/redeem?ctx=offercodes&id=6456888175&code=FIRST1000

Disclaimer, this photo is not mine.

View attachment 2284576
bro you are the best i will happily pay 20-50$ for this app

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.