Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
Original poster
I tried my car charger for iPod and, while the iPhone appears to recognize the charger (the battery icon shows a lightning bolt) the iphone battery never seems to fill up.

Shouldn't it work?

Has anyone used the iPhone chargers sold at the Apple store?

thomasfxlt

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2005
I tried my car charger for iPod and, while the iPhone appears to recognize the charger (the battery icon shows a lightning bolt) the iphone battery never seems to fill up.

Shouldn't it work?

Has anyone used the iPhone chargers sold at the Apple store?

I bought the Griffen iJolt. I had it plugged in for a few hours last nite. It definitely charged my battery.

YoMamasPyjamas

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2007
Dirty Jersey
I had the same problem with my car charger. The iPhone recognized it and displayed the lightening bolt as though it was charging, but after a 1 hour car ride, the battery was exactly where it started. I'm pretty sure this is from an older DLO cassette adapter, car charger kit. Pretty bummed if I have to buy a new one...

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
My old iPod charger (Belkin) won't work - the iPhone gives me a message saying that the accessory is not made to work with iPhone - bummer.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
I have a couple of those auto lighter adapters with a USB port on the top.

Haven't tried it but it has to work.

Problem is you really need a second cable if you don't want to carry yours around.

I also have a lighter adapter (firewire) for a gen1 iPod.
But I imagine these are putting out 9V which even though may not burn up the iPhone immediately, would be a very bad idea unless we hear otherwise from apple.

note: USB=5V
firewire=9V

a three volt difference may work but could brick the iPhone after a while (if there's a spike, etc..)

Katmyth

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2007
LA
I got the Griffin one in the store on Sat as I had no ipod car charger and it's great for $20. :)

cpgodf

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2007
Has anyone tried the Igo charger with the ipod tip for the iphone; does it work or does it just show connected and not charge?

PieMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2002
I would like to know this too...I have the XtremeMac 12 volt car charger that I bought a year or so ago for my video iPod and it fits the iPhone perfectly but I haven't tried to charge it yet for fear of possibly damaging it. I e-mailed XtremeMac and they say that the circuitry is different between the iPhone and the iPod and they have a different/new charger available specifically for the iPhone...but they also advertise that this new charger works with the iPod as well....seems a bit contradictory to me. Hmmmm.

TydalForce

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2003
Philly, PA

Ha ze

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2006
i got an overpriced Griffen TuneFlex at the Apple store, but I really like it.
It chargers it, but as of right now the audio playback won't wont cause it wasn't designed for an iPhone (software update!)

This is how it sits:
150_0000018047_0000020584.jpg

some guy actually pulled up next to me the other day and asked "Is that the iPhone?"
wuttacreep

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.