Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JustSomebody12

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 16, 2020
Hi everybody,

I'd like to know if anybody got any news about the Car Key functionality introduced with iOS 13.6.

I don't remember seeing it mentioned anywhere after the launch, neither by Apple nor by auto-makers.

Thank you.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Hi everybody,

I'd like to know if anybody got any news about the Car Key functionality introduced with iOS 13.6.

I don't remember seeing it mentioned anywhere after the launch, neither by Apple nor by auto-makers.

Thank you.

BMW is incorporating it. That’s the only one I’m aware of. But auto development cycles are long and it will probably be 5-7 years before you see mass adoption (much like CarPlay)

Reactions: JustSomebody12

JustSomebody12

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 16, 2020
BMW is incorporating it. That’s the only one I’m aware of. But auto development cycles are long and it will probably be 5-7 years before you see mass adoption (much like CarPlay)
Thank you for having answered; unfortunately I don't like BMW too much and was hoping for other carmakers to adopt it...

Do you know if on technical level it is easy or hard to implement it? (I mean for the carmakers).

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I doubt it’s too terribly difficult to implement, as it likely just requires the installation of NFC chips in the vehicle and connecting them to the same modules that unlock and start the vehicle now, using physical key fobs.

The difficulty will come with ensuring that no one can hack it, especially since you can “give” access to others. At least with the physical fobs, you actually need to have them in your possession. Here, one can envision a scenario where phishing might be used to obtain access to someone’s vehicle-starting ability.

Needless to say, the automakers will want to ensure that doesn’t happen. So they will test, test and re-test. Then they will start to engineer it for their vehicles.

I’m sure Apple didn’t just approach the auto companies last year when they announced this, but I still think it’ll be several years before you see this in the mass market.

JustSomebody12

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 16, 2020
I doubt it’s too terribly difficult to implement, as it likely just requires the installation of NFC chips in the vehicle and connecting them to the same modules that unlock and start the vehicle now, using physical key fobs.

The difficulty will come with ensuring that no one can hack it, especially since you can “give” access to others. At least with the physical fobs, you actually need to have them in your possession. Here, one can envision a scenario where phishing might be used to obtain access to someone’s vehicle-starting ability.

Needless to say, the automakers will want to ensure that doesn’t happen. So they will test, test and re-test. Then they will start to engineer it for their vehicles.

I’m sure Apple didn’t just approach the auto companies last year when they announced this, but I still think it’ll be several years before you see this in the mass market.
I think access-giving is managed by Apple and so should be of no care by the carmakers.
What a pity the roll-out is so slow, I could see myself going out with only my phone and my wallet...

SCStevens04

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2006
NC
For decades company have been making aftermarket remote starters. Surely someone will find a way to modify so that phones are the starter?

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I think access-giving is managed by Apple and so should be of no care by the carmakers.
What a pity the roll-out is so slow, I could see myself going out with only my phone and my wallet...

Clearly you are not familiar with the auto industry. If they can be sued, they will be sued.

They are going to make 150% certain that their installation of a system that puts remote control and delegated access out of their control works as expected. Or it won’t go into their cars.

And they are correct to do so.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
For decades company have been making aftermarket remote starters. Surely someone will find a way to modify so that phones are the starter?

The difference is, you don’t want a hackable system where someone else decides who holds that “remote starter” known as an iPhone.

The auto and insurance industries’ worst nightmares are a system that would give hackers the ability to clone the user pass and sell it online.

Imagine the following:

“$15,000 gets you a brand new Mercedes. Click here, make a payment and I’ll send you the code and the location “

Brrr…

Reactions: SCStevens04

JustSomebody12

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 16, 2020
Hi everybody,
I have found this useful link (in German) about a functionality very similar to CarKey (but unfortunately available only on Android through a proprietary app), do you think through an update they could make it work on iOS?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.