Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vigilant

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Nashville, TN
Took my car to get the Alpine ILX-700 to get installed in my new VW GLI. I was told by the installer that the RP4-VW11 was the most versatile way to connect everything in.

One issue came up though. The RP4-VW11 doesn't ship with support for the Voice key on the wheel when connected to an Alpine ILX-700. This looks like it works though if you run the software update to the harness itself has a software patch that will let you map the Voice Control key to it.

I'll be going in tomorrow to get this update done considering the hardware was installed today I expect this to be a free update.

For bonus points, this is a fantastic Car Play unit. I personally hate using entertainment systems from the car manufacturer. This unit is the most cost affective way to get Car Play in the car. I was cruising around and had most of what I wanted just running.

Definitely worth giving this a look at if you are into this kind of thing.

I know I've heard that some after market solutions didn't support the steering wheel control didn't work with Car Play. This seems like this should work. http://www.pac-audio.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=1119

Papester

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2012
Can you provide some feedback on the Alpine unit now that you have been using it for some time?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.