Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do your cars have over 300HP?

• Yes

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • No

Votes: 18 64.3%

• Total voters

InvertedGoldfish

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 28, 2023
After reading about diesel Jettas and those who sit in the left lane

Got me thinking, simple poll

For me, got a few

200hp but she was built in the 60s and is a cars and coffee type deal

Quasi daily coupe 310hp
Daily 330hp
Weekend RWD 410hp

Just cars/trucks, bikes don’t count

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
LOL!!!!

1997 Honda Accord that now has a bad head gasket and is burning coolant. 2013 Nissan Sentra SR.

Add both of them together and I still don't have 300hp.

Reactions: InvertedGoldfish

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
After reading about diesel Jettas and those who sit in the left lane

Got me thinking, simple poll

For me, got a few

200hp but she was built in the 60s and is a cars and coffee type deal

Quasi daily coupe 310hp
Daily 330hp
Weekend RWD 410hp

Just cars/trucks, bikes don’t count
My memory is that the Jetta dates from the 1980s (1979, was when it was first released), not the 1960s; if memory serves, my father had one for a few years, in the 1980s.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Well, not a car, but my 2013 5.7L Tundra truck's engine produces 381 HP at 3,600 RPM. My wife's 2010 RAV4 V6 produces around 270 HP. Toyota decided not to use the V6 on the RAV4 series somewhere between 2011 and 2013, so we were lucky. We have had monetary offers for this RAV4 that exceed the amount we paid when we purchased it in 2011. The Tundra too holds its value. My oldest son, who passed away in March this year, paid a little over $20,000 for this used vehicle a few years ago. While my wife and I don't need this truck other than a few times per year, we will keep it to drive every now and then. It is worth over $25,000 at the moment.

Last edited:
Reactions: InvertedGoldfish

InvertedGoldfish

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 28, 2023
Well, not a car, but my 2013 5.7L Tundra truck's engine produces 381 HP at 3,600 RPM. My wife's 2010 RAV4 V6 produces around 270 HP. Toyota decided not to use the V6 on the RAV4 series somewhere between 2011 and 2013, so we were lucky. We have had monetary offers for this RAV4 that exceed the amount we paid when we purchased it in 2011. The Tundra too holds its value. My oldest son, who passed away in March this year, paid a little over $20,000 for this used vehicle a few years ago. While my wife and I don't need this truck other than a few times per year, we will keep it to drive every now and then. It is worth over $25,000 at the moment.
Toyota trucks hold their value like crazy

Think the Tacoma is the best resale of any vehicle??

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
My last vehicle (not my wife's) was a 2015 Ram 1500 with Hemi 395 HP.

Now we have:
Wife - 2019 Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor with Acceleration Boost 462.47 HP*
Me - 2021 Tesla Model Y Dual Motor with Acceleration Boost 462.47 HP*

*This number was from a Model Y actual Dyno, I don't know the actual advertised HP numbers. Also, I assuming the same HP numbers for the TM3 and TMY

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
2020 Tundra (5.7L) - 385HP
The big engine burns a lot of fuel, but one has to consider the reason for such a large vehicle: it is heavy, and it has a great towing capacity at a drive range that cannot be exceeded by an electric truck. The Chevy 2001 325 Vortex engine on my Silverado burns a lot less fuel, but the Tundra is a towing monster. My son towed his 4,500-pound (dry water tank and so on) travel trailer with his Tundra up/down road inclines with ease. One of my neighbors tows an enormous boat from Fairbanks to Valdez, Alaska with His Tundra for the same reasons as my son.

Reactions: Kung

Kung

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2006
The big engine burns a lot of fuel, but one has to consider the reason for such a large vehicle: it is heavy, and it has a great towing capacity at a drive range that cannot be exceeded by an electric truck. The Chevy 2001 325 Vortex engine on my Silverado burns a lot less fuel, but the Tundra is a towing monster. My son towed his 4,500-pound (dry water tank and so on) travel trailer with his Tundra up/down road inclines with ease. One of my neighbors tows an enormous boat from Fairbanks to Valdez, Alaska with His Tundra for the same reasons as my son.

Exactly. I used to own a '13 F150, and had multiple issues with it *AND* the dealership. I was able to tow a 22' camper with it (notice I said I was *able* lol), but it sure didn't like doing so.

When I purchased my Tundra, I literally wanted a truck that could tow the same thing, but more reliably and easily, and the Tundra fit the bill. The funny thing is that while I'll never say the Tundra gets great gas mileage...it actually did BETTER than my F150 (5.0L). Additionally, it has the 38 gallon tank, so I can tow for about 350 miles at a time, even with a large trailer/camper. That is invaluable.

But more to your point...I routinely towed for hundreds of miles in areas where there wasn't any sort of charger within 100 miles (literally). When you've been broken down in the middle of nowhere in the middle of winter almost literally praying for someone to come along...reliability is a BIG deal, and adding another component heavily affecting towing ability to that isn't the way to go when you tow in areas nowhere near chargers.

Now...would I buy a hybrid? All day long....but my '20 Tundra is paid off. :D

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Exactly. I used to own a '13 F150, and had multiple issues with it *AND* the dealership. I was able to tow a 22' camper with it (notice I said I was *able* lol), but it sure didn't like doing so.

When I purchased my Tundra, I literally wanted a truck that could tow the same thing, but more reliably and easily, and the Tundra fit the bill. The funny thing is that while I'll never say the Tundra gets great gas mileage...it actually did BETTER than my F150 (5.0L). Additionally, it has the 38 gallon tank, so I can tow for about 350 miles at a time, even with a large trailer/camper. That is invaluable.

But more to your point...I routinely towed for hundreds of miles in areas where there wasn't any sort of charger within 100 miles (literally). When you've been broken down in the middle of nowhere in the middle of winter almost literally praying for someone to come along...reliability is a BIG deal, and adding another component heavily affecting towing ability to that isn't the way to go when you tow in areas nowhere near chargers.

Now...would I buy a hybrid? All day long....but my '20 Tundra is paid off. :D
Agree! A hybrid truck or car would be fine with me, too. But all of our vehicles are long paid for, and since we drive so little (I am twice retired, and my wife is retiring in two days), we don't need any new vehicles other than toys (maybe a tear-drop travel trailer that has a shower and kitchen indoors...one of these days). We have a RAV4, Toyota Corolla, Silverado, and now the Tundra parked on our house's driveways, and drive less than 2,000-3,000 per year / 4 vehicles. We could sell two, but each has its own use.

Kung

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2006
Agree! A hybrid truck or car would be fine with me, too. But all of our vehicles are long paid for, and since we drive so little (I am twice retired, and my wife is retiring in two days), we don't need any new vehicles other than toys (maybe a tear-drop travel trailer that has a shower and kitchen indoors...one of these days). We have a RAV4, Toyota Corolla, Silverado, and now the Tundra parked on our house's driveways, and drive less than 2,000-3,000 per year / 4 vehicles. We could sell two, but each has its own use.

Yep.

Now, I will say - once I retire (I'm 47, so it's a ways away lol), and we're where we will end up for good....will I still have a truck as a daily driver? Probably not. Dunno if that means I'll get rid of my Tundra, but neither will it mean that I'll drive it everywhere I go. With that said, I drive 10 miles to work one-way, so it's not like my drives are epic treks, either. LOL If I drove a lot more, and still needed a truck, I'd likely get a Silverado with the 3.0L diesel due to gas mileage.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Yep.

Now, I will say - once I retire (I'm 47, so it's a ways away lol), and we're where we will end up for good....will I still have a truck as a daily driver? Probably not. Dunno if that means I'll get rid of my Tundra, but neither will it mean that I'll drive it everywhere I go. With that said, I drive 10 miles to work one-way, so it's not like my drives are epic treks, either. LOL If I drove a lot more, and still needed a truck, I'd likely get a Silverado with the 3.0L diesel due to gas mileage.
If you go easy on the gas pedal to keep the Tundra's engine under 1,500 RPM (just when driving to work) or even lower, then it does not burn as much fuel. Off-road tires also increase fuel consumption.

Kung

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2006
If you go easy on the gas pedal to keep the Tundra's engine under 1,500 RPM (just when driving to work) or even lower, then it does not burn as much fuel. Off-road tires also increase fuel consumption.

Oh, believe me, I know it. "Normal" stop and go driving gets me 16MPG or so, but I've gotten as high as 18.5MPG just cruising along at 60-65MPH. :)

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
Spouse wanted a CRV so bought here a 2022...so no for 300hp. My old ICE car had about 300. My new EV (M3 LR) has I'm sure over 300, but thinking of adding acceleration boost.

It is a noticeable increase in power... I got a 3 loaner without AB, it felt like a dog...

Reactions: I7guy

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
Where are our expectations gone to? A dog at 4.2?

You are right, but, when you drive your car then immediately drive a car 0.5 seconds slower (0-60) it is very noticable. But yeah, both are crazy fast, and there is no "need" to be faster.

AB actually adds more power to the mid-range, there are many reports that a Long Range TM3 with AB is faster than a Performance TM3 in the mid-range. This is really where I noticed it, in the get up and go to pass someone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.