Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bookbuyer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2021
I have an older car stereo. The only auxiliary input are the left and right RCA inputs in the back of it.
May I please ask if anyone has any suggestions to get my iPhone SE (2022) to play through this car stereo?

For context, I'll describe my current setup :)

I currently have an iPhone 6 that plugs into a contraption that goes into my car's cigarette lighter. I bought the contraption so long ago, I forgot the brand name of it... but it has 2 cables coming out of it: one of the cables goes directly to my car stereo's RCA inputs, and the other cable has a 30-pin dock connector that goes straight into my iPhone 6.

This setup allows powered sound to go from my iPhone 6 to my car stereo system.

I'm sure I could probably find an adapter ("30-pin Dock Connector - to - Lightning Connector"), but I feel this wouldn't be ideal considering the sensitive high-tech electronics used in the new 2022 iPhone SE.

Trying to google for the existance of such a device has been very challenging, I was hoping someone would be kind enough to have some ideas and suggestions; I would be most appreciative.

Thank you!!
p.s. because of my car's internal wiring setup, I will not be able to get a new car stereo. I know that new car stereos have all kinds of auxiliary inputs, bluetooth, etc., but upgrading my car stereo is not an option.😀😀

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
I'd look at going wireless. That is, a Bluetooth receiver that has RCA outputs. To your iPhone, it looks like Bluetooth headphones. To your car stereo, it looks like an external source.

When I search for keywords bluetooth rca receiver I see a bunch of results, roughly $30 ± $10. I didn't check to see if they're 12VDC compatible, but anything that takes 5V power just needs a USB-to-cigarette-lighter adapter wired to the 12V bus of the car, and presto, there's 5VDC.

One obvious advantage of wireless in this case is there's zero electrical connection to the iPhone. Another advantage is you can probably hide the BT receiver under the dash somewhere, so there's no dangly bits visible.

Reactions: bookbuyer

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I have an older car stereo. The only auxiliary input are the left and right RCA inputs in the back of it.
May I please ask if anyone has any suggestions to get my iPhone SE (2022) to play through this car stereo?

For context, I'll describe my current setup :)

I currently have an iPhone 6 that plugs into a contraption that goes into my car's cigarette lighter. I bought the contraption so long ago, I forgot the brand name of it... but it has 2 cables coming out of it: one of the cables goes directly to my car stereo's RCA inputs, and the other cable has a 30-pin dock connector that goes straight into my iPhone 6.

This setup allows powered sound to go from my iPhone 6 to my car stereo system.

I'm sure I could probably find an adapter ("30-pin Dock Connector - to - Lightning Connector"), but I feel this wouldn't be ideal considering the sensitive high-tech electronics used in the new 2022 iPhone SE.

Trying to google for the existance of such a device has been very challenging, I was hoping someone would be kind enough to have some ideas and suggestions; I would be most appreciative.

Thank you!!
p.s. because of my car's internal wiring setup, I will not be able to get a new car stereo. I know that new car stereos have all kinds of auxiliary inputs, bluetooth, etc., but upgrading my car stereo is not an option.😀😀
30-Pin to Lightning adapters do exist, but I'd suggest the advice that @chown33 has given.

PS. While you may have a 30-pin connector, you do not have an iPhone 6 if you are plugging that connector directly into the iPhone. Lightning was introduced with the iPhone 5 and the 4s was the last 30-pin iPhone.

Reactions: Bigwaff

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
You can get a lightning to RCA cable, there are several on amazon, you'll probably also want to get a lightning splitter so you can charge and output music at the same time

Here's a cord I found, it's got a lightning power input as well, so you'll just need a USB cigarette lighter charger, and a regular lighting cable. It should work for audio without the extra charger and cable.
No guarantees on quality, but it's under $7

There are quite a few cigarette lighter bluetooth receivers, but they all seem to have a FM transmitter to send to your car stereo( Bluetooth phone to device, FM device to car) . Having had used an FM transmitter years ago, I wouldn't recommend, as even driving in the same metro area, I had to change the frequency due to interference, and on long distance trips it really sucked.

bookbuyer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2021
I'd look at going wireless. That is, a Bluetooth receiver that has RCA outputs. To your iPhone, it looks like Bluetooth headphones. To your car stereo, it looks like an external source.

When I search for keywords bluetooth rca receiver I see a bunch of results, roughly $30 ± $10. I didn't check to see if they're 12VDC compatible, but anything that takes 5V power just needs a USB-to-cigarette-lighter adapter wired to the 12V bus of the car, and presto, there's 5VDC.

One obvious advantage of wireless in this case is there's zero electrical connection to the iPhone. Another advantage is you can probably hide the BT receiver under the dash somewhere, so there's no dangly bits visible.
I like the sound of this! (Pardon the pun :) )
Especially the "zero electrical connection" part...
In my existing setup, accidentally bumping the device plugged into the cigarette lighter causes a surge, sometimes blowing a fuse in the car (imagine what it would do to a brand new iPhone).
This bluetooth method sounds the way to go.
I appreciate all the other answers in this thread as well.
Thank you to all that answered!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.