Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Average Pro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
Cali
What is the best configuration to back up data with Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC)?

Option 01:
Copy original data to backup 01
Copy original data to backup 02
Copy original data to backup 03

Option 02:
Copy original data to backup 01
Copy backup 01 to backup 02
Copy backup 02 to backup 03

I am currently utilizing Option 01 where backup 01 occurs at least once a week (or following a large upload of data), backup 02 every two weeks and backup 03 every three weeks. And yes, I do have a backup offsite in a different state.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
I backup with CCC every night. The only difference is I alternate between two external Samsung SSDs that I have. (Samsung T-5)

I also backup with Time Machine on a weekly basis.

No off site storage.

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
Option 1 for sure.

If CCC somehow corrupts a given backup, the cloned backup isn't going to magically get better when it is cloned. Or there could be a hardware failure on the backup device. Bad disk controller, bad media, bad cable, whatever.

At least you know that if your original data is normal then at least the source system is still functional.

Old timer computer scientists have a decades-old acronym for this: GIGO which stands for "Garbage In, Garbage Out."

Note that IT pros who follow best practices don't clone backups. They clone originals. That's also the only way to eliminate a bunch of uncertainty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.