Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rjalex

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
Rome, Italy
Dear friends,
I have bought a license to CCC v6 for my 2020 M1 Mac mini with 256GB SSD.

I have setup a daily backup of the whole disk to an external 500GB SSD, and would use this backup in case the mini completely crashed to restore the system (even though I still need to read if/how I can restore to my M1 machine).

Additionally I would also like to use CCC to make hourly (?) backups of the files I'm actively working in (programs, texts, presentations) to use them in the rare but not impossible case I mistakenly goof and delete or otherwise ruin something I'm working on and at least be able to get a version of that of a little time ago.

What is the suggested way of configuring CCC 6 ?

Thanks a lot.

PS I've been betrayed by my Time Machine backups and turned it off forever.

Rich B22

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2019
Wow, hard to believe that over 3 weeks later, no replies. Time Machine has saved my butt a few times, but other times not so much, so I understand your frustration with it.

Anyway, it's easy to set up CCC to run hourly but be aware that CCC does not keep versions, other than the information in "Safety Net", which may or may not have what you need.
It's cumbersome, but you could set up separate volumes on an external drive, 1 for each hour you want to cover, then a separate task for each of those hours so you'd at least have separate backups until overwritten the next day.
  1. Task>New Backup Task
  2. Choose Source and Destination
  3. Automation>Scheduling Basis>Daily, then set the time for that task
For example if you want to cover 4 tasks between 10am & 2 pm, you'd make 4 volumes labeled 11, 12, 1:00 and 2:00, then set up 4 separate tasks, each to go off at those times. I would suggest that these "incremental" backups be on a separate hard drive from your daily so that if either crashes, you have multiple backups.

Good luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.