Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dpriest

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 18, 2014
I recently updated CCC to version 6.0.5 since upgrading my Mac to Big Sur. I have 2 identical WD Elements drives. I keep one drive in the safety deposit box at the bank and do regular backups and swap drives regularly. With the older version of CCC I was able to have CCC see both drives as the same so I did not have to manually enter the destination path. This was very helpful because I have 15 backup tasks. To do this I unchecked "Use strict volume identification for the destination"

With this latest version I have the strict volume identification unchecked also but every time I switch drives I have to enter the destination path all over again and it sees each drive as different. This is extremely frustrating!!

Please help/advise me on what to do.

Rich B22

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2019
I recently updated CCC to version 6.0.5 since upgrading my Mac to Big Sur. I have 2 identical WD Elements drives. I keep one drive in the safety deposit box at the bank and do regular backups and swap drives regularly. With the older version of CCC I was able to have CCC see both drives as the same so I did not have to manually enter the destination path. This was very helpful because I have 15 backup tasks. To do this I unchecked "Use strict volume identification for the destination"

With this latest version I have the strict volume identification unchecked also but every time I switch drives I have to enter the destination path all over again and it sees each drive as different. This is extremely frustrating!!

Please help/advise me on what to do.
I don't understand how CCC could see 2 different drives as the same, since it recognizes the drive by the UUID #, but in any case, if that worked for you, more power! I've never unchecked strict volume identification, so don't know if that is why.

Since CCC seems to want to identify the drives separately,if nothing else works, you could duplicate your tasks for each drive and put them into 2 separate groups to keep them straight, without having to look at 30 tasks.

Alternatively, I'd contact CCC support. I've found them to be fast, well informed and always come out with the right answer.

Good luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.