Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adk

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
I've just started (finally) using Carbon Copy Cloner to back up my data. I did a clone last night, and some files from the last time I cloned that should be gone are still there. Is this normal? Should I be erasing the previous clone before I make a new one?

spinne1

macrumors 6502a
Yes, it is normal. If you want a clean clone you can erase your target disk right before cloning and give it a fresh partitioning. I do this sometimes to simply defrag. I have two identical disks and I will occasionally wipe one, clone the other one, and then make that one the new startup disk, etc. Doing so every so often will ensure that files are contiguous.

skybolt

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2005
Nashville, TN, USA
I believe there is an option in CCC preferences that you can tell the program to delete items on the clone that are no longer on the source, or to leave items on the target. You might want to check that out and make a choice accordingly. For a while, I left things on the target that were not on the source, just in case I wanted them back again.

Good luck!

skybolt

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2005
Nashville, TN, USA
In CCC Preferences, toward the bottom, in Synchronization Options, there is a checkbox for "delete items not on source". Check or uncheck that as you prefer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.