Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brownk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2019
United States
I have never used the product. I have three different systems running High Sierra. If I do a clean install to an external drive, and then clone that installation, can I use that clone on all three systems? Or are clones system specific. Meaning you would need to do a clean install to each device and then create device specific clones. We have a MacBook (2015), a iMac (2013) and a Mac Pro (2010).

Asked the same question to Bombich, but was told that happy frowns upon such deployment and pointed me to some articles? Must of thought I worked for an organization. What's the point of the software?

Fear Apple is going to cutoff access to older os's soon. Just as they have done with iOS.

As such, wanted to make some clones of the various older OS's I use on older machines. Figure making clones would be the best measure.

Thanks for any help!

Reactions: m4v3r1ck

Snowlover

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2018
Alpine , CA
I have CCC backup clones of snow leopard, mountain lion, el capitan and high sierra. I have installed them (erase drive and clone to it) on various machines (mini, mbp and mba) of different years. No problem with any of them, assuming are using a supported machine.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
I have never used the product. I have three different systems running High Sierra. If I do a clean install to an external drive, and then clone that installation, can I use that clone on all three systems? Or are clones system specific. Meaning you would need to do a clean install to each device and then create device specific clones. We have a MacBook (2015), a iMac (2013) and a Mac Pro (2010).

Asked the same question to Bombich, but was told that happy frowns upon such deployment and pointed me to some articles? Must of thought I worked for an organization. What's the point of the software?

Fear Apple is going to cutoff access to older os's soon. Just as they have done with iOS.

As such, wanted to make some clones of the various older OS's I use on older machines. Figure making clones would be the best measure.

Thanks for any help!
Be sure to make 1:1 separate Carbon Copy Cloner for EVERY machine / macOS you are running. Don't copy files from and/or to other machines / macOS.

1. MacBook (2015) > CCC to external drive A
2. iMac (2013) > CCC to external drive B
3. Mac Pro (2010) > CCC to external drive C

Whatever macOS you're running on them, just buy and use seperate - I use RAID1 external eSATA drives - disks for them. Will cost you, but will be saving your bacon in future. ;)

Good luck! Any questions? Just ask.

Cheers

Reactions: KeesMacPro
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.