Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Susja

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2017
Hello
I want to download and install Carbridge on my iPhone 12 in order to watch YouTube on CarPlay in my car. OS is 16.4.1
They say that it could be done without jailbreak
Is it true?
Is it safe?
Any opinion?
Again: my goal is to stream video from my iPhone to CarPlay
Thanks

Susja

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2017
No. Watching streaming video while driving isn’t safe.
Sure, I understand it. I meant not for driver but for passenger .
My question regarding safety was related to install Carbridge app not from Apple Store but from website. I am afraid somehow to brake my phone.I am interested because they claimed that installation does not require phone jailbreaking.
Btw: here's the link they suggested: https://carbridgeapp.com/
Thanks

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Clearly it's not safe to watch video while you drive. However, I think the OP wants to know if it's "safe" to install the app from a security/privacy point of view. Aside from YouTube, there are valid reasons why somebody might want to use a web browser with CarPlay.

I'm not familiar with CarBridge, but their site claims it works without jailbreaking but you need to download the app directly from them. I would be interested in just how this works.

[edit]In spite of the link that @Susja posted, I also found this site. Hmm....

"Please note: CarBridge or any other ‘unsupported CarPlay app loaders’ will always require a jailbreak because of Apple limitations and the nature of how this type of software works. Any such software that claims to not require a jailbreak is 100% a scam. This is the only official site for CarBridge."

Last edited:

Susja

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2017
Clearly it's not safe to watch video while you drive. However, I think the OP wants to know if it's "safe" to install the app from a security/privacy point of view. Aside from YouTube, there are valid reasons why somebody might want to use a web browser with CarPlay.

I'm not familiar with CarBridge, but their site claims it works without jailbreaking but you need to download the app directly from them. I would be interested in just how this works.

[edit]In spite of the link that @Susja posted, I also found this site. Hmm....

"Please note: CarBridge or any other ‘unsupported CarPlay app loaders’ will always require a jailbreak because of Apple limitations and the nature of how this type of software works. Any such software that claims to not require a jailbreak is 100% a scam. This is the only official site for CarBridge."

Well I saw that site too :). First I decided to refrain from it because of need to jailbreak but after that I would another side which contradict the first one. The second site requires one time pay while the second one looks free. Well ... I don't mind to pay for it ... just care more about phone safety

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I am developing a gps/mapping web app and would love to be able to use it with CarPlay instead of directly on my phone in a mount. I looked into this awhile ago and it seemed pretty clear to me that a jailbreak would be required to use a web browser through CarPlay, so I gave up on the idea and just use my web app directly on my phone.

I still don't understand how CarBridge could do this without jailbreaking a phone and personally wouldn't install something that makes such a claim. However, if somebody here has done this without a jailbreak, I'd be very interested in hearing about it.

Susja

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2017
Well Folks,
I think it was a trap :)
I tried to install be it failed even to download app ...

• Wow
Reactions: Boyd01

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Is it safe? 🙄 Sure, why not. They might need your Social Security Number & Apple ID password too, if so don’t sweat it.

hnic247

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2011
Lindenwold, Nj
I have had carbridge for years it’s works fine on my jailbroken iPhone 7. There’s absolutely no way to use it without jailbreaking your iPhone.

Reactions: Boyd01

Killbynumbers

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
I have a jailbroken XS on iOS 14 that I use for a GPS spoofer. I also tried Carbridge and it's ok. Mostly have to start videos playing on the phone first and then they play cars screen at least that's how it seemed to work.

Anyways, you do need a jailbroken phone.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
Sure, I understand it. I meant not for driver but for passenger .
I suspect if the police spotted you with video playing on the car infotainment they wouldnt care if it was for the passenger or not. Its in your eyeline so would be deemed unsafe i suspect. My Vauxhall allows videos to be played via a USB stick to the display but doesnt work once the car is moving.

xman4ut

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2023
It is absolutely a scam - NEVER INSTALL THIS TO YOUR DEVICES - IT'S TOO LATE TO REGRET! I would not recommend anyone installing & using. How to know it's a scam? Very easy, just looking @ the "PEOPLE" who provided comments, read their comments, "installed, used, easy, blah blah..." Any of you here would be able to realize they all are scammers with that little more. They were working together to bait such greedy fish. Don't be fooled and baited. REMOVE, IMMEDIATELY DELETE IF YOU DON'T WANT ALL YOUR BANK ACCOUNTS, ALL CREDENTIALS GIVING OUT 4FREE to THESE SCAMMERS :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.