Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
Walking through CompUSA in the 90s of course you'd expect to see the furniture that would compliment your home office on display, but how can you picture your Packard Bell in the flat-pack hutch without the aid of augmented reality?

Fear not for there is the perfect PC for that!

I remember the countless cardboard models of PC's that adorned the computer and office stores of that era. I've only, by chance, just discovered proof that these did exist after they had eluded me for years.

image001.jpg

I've searched and can find NO mention of these what-so-ever until now.

The difference in what I've found and what I remember is that some of the PC's were very detailed and had a desktop box and monitor combo, not just the monitor. I seem to recall having details on the boxes like fake brand names, power buttons, floppy slots etc.

Who else remembers these? Does anybody have one?

Just a bit of nostalgia I'd like to indulge.

image003.jpg

Reactions: compwiz1202

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I remember the countless cardboard models of PC's that adorned the computer and office stores of that era
Furniture stores still use fake computers. I see them in IKEA and local furniture stores here in Massachusetts. Of course they use "modern" computers and not the fake packard bell models

Reactions: TSE

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I can remember those things as far back as late 70s early 80s in Radio Shack stores, until they started replacing them with their real computers.

If I recall correctly, furniture stores and some office supply stores that also sold furniture had these. Of course, there were also the fake TVs.

Reactions: MrCheeto

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Furniture stores still use fake computers. I see them in IKEA and local furniture stores here in Massachusetts. Of course they use "modern" computers and not the fake packard bell models

Super true! I saw them in IKEA a little while ago. OP, make a trip with the wifey and get her some stuff for the home. :)

Reactions: maflynn

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
IKEA is the last place I’d stop to get something for home. If I need furniture, I build it to spec.

Consider how many boxes have been found listed online; empty boxes for old Mac’s, packaging for popular soda brands, discontinued vintage toys etc. I think I heard of a box of original-series (original 12) Star Wars figures about to go to auction. This particular box was empty but it was considered valuable none-the-less.

This makes me think that somewhere somebody has surely found, collected or continued to use the old beige boxes. It’s been so long since I’ve seen the actual thing but again I do seem to recall details like fake brand badges, floppy slots, power status lights etc. Would sure love to see if that’s how they were in the DOS era.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
IKEA is the last place I’d stop to get something for home.
Your loss, decent furniture at a good price. We were just there earlier today getting my daughter a dresser - low and behold a plastic computer
IMG_0532.jpeg
If I need furniture, I build it to spec.
Nice flex - but not all of us can build their own furniture. Since you build your own furniture it’s no wonder you thought the plastic computers went there way of the Dodo

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
Whose loss? Am I supposed to be ashamed I am not in need of a “bargain”? Better no furniture than compacted Swedish newspaper. I will admit I’ve stolen their design to a degree from time to time on a functional level but in regards to looks…yeah I guess that’s fashionable if you’re really going for the “you will own nothing and be happy” motif. The idea of egg and dart, dentil, open grains or colors as opposed to shades on a gray scale outright perplex some people 🤣 I speak from observation.

Get good furniture and it lasts GENERATIONS. Buy once and be done. Talk about reducing and reusing.

🤷🏾‍♂️ It’s just a Dell PC and a monitor, not a purpose-made analog.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Whose loss?
Yours, you don't know what your missing, its a good value

Am I supposed to be ashamed I am not in need of a “bargain”?
No you seem to be implying "I only make my own furniture and anything else is beneath me."

Better no furniture than compacted Swedish newspaper.
I disagree. My wife and I got a closet organizer for our walk in closet from ikea nearly 20 years ago, and it cost me in the neighborhood of 1,500 dollars (give or take a hundred). Anyways we got a quote from California closets and it was something like 7,000 dollar, its so long ago, I forget the details but I do recall it was well north of 5k. That Swedish newspaper is going strong some 20 years now
Get good furniture and it lasts GENERATIONS.
I'd love to get something that can last 100 years, but I simply do not have the money, I paid under 300 for this dresser and it will suit my daughter for many many years. Some of us have to watch our budget and make difficult decisions on how best to spend our limited funds

This far beyond the topic, I'm bowing out - enjoy your furniture making, I mean this sincerely, but I provided that furniture stores still use those fake computers for their displays.

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
Where in the world are you that you can’t get a HARD wood (not just pine and poplar) dresser for $300? Give me $300 and I’ll walk out of the antique furniture store with something timeless, beautiful, and resilient enough that you would not believe it’s 50-years-old.

That’s not a dummy display, it’s just a computer 🤷🏾‍♂️

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.