Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikejd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
That's my gut feeling too. I've just found the CarlinKit for carplay systems (like the Carplay2air) on Amazon US. Same price as Carplay2Air, comming from China. Several horror stories on the reviews there.
Yup. Plus that carlinkkit requires android headunits and an .apk install. Carplay2air is plug n play.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Yup. Plus that carlinkkit requires android headunits and an .apk install. Carplay2air is plug n play.

CarLinkIt doesn’t necessarily need an Android head unit. There are so many different versions you have to be really careful.

The one I have is a “wireless activator” and doesn’t need Android head unit, but needs CarPlay built into the factory head unit. Although mine still isn’t working.....

mikejd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
CarLinkIt doesn’t necessarily need an Android head unit. There are so many different versions you have to be really careful.

The one I have is a “wireless activator” and doesn’t need Android head unit, but needs CarPlay built into the factory head unit. Although mine still isn’t working.....
I know there aren’t many reviews yet on carplay2air vs carlinkkit and the reviews on carplay2air site are obviously fake, but as it stands right now it seems based on limited data carplay2air is the only one working somewhat consistently for people that have bought it

aviegas

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2019
localhost.localdomain
I know there aren’t many reviews yet on carplay2air vs carlinkkit and the reviews on carplay2air site are obviously fake, but as it stands right now it seems based on limited data carplay2air is the only one working somewhat consistently for people that have bought it

Agree. There is a nice viedeo of Carplay2Air on a Ford (with a Sync 3 Carplay) here. Working (https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ert-to-wireless-carplay.2193978/post-27947710)

And CarlinKit has indeed so many confusing models: wired only or wireless both for Android Auto (uses the Android app and required Android Auto). They have the "activator" that will connect to an existing wired carplay. But reviews are terrible and price is comparable to CarPlay2Air.

mikejd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
Agree. There is a nice viedeo of Carplay2Air on a Ford (with a Sync 3 Carplay) here. Working (https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ert-to-wireless-carplay.2193978/post-27947710)

And CarlinKit has indeed so many confusing models: wired only or wireless both for Android Auto (uses the Android app and required Android Auto). They have the "activator" that will connect to an existing wired carplay. But reviews are terrible and price is comparable to CarPlay2Air.
yup

spacegoose

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2011
Can anyone here in the forum confirm that the carplay2air does not exhibit the audio delay while making phone calls? Is the general carplay performance similar to the performance when the phone is plugged in? Thanks!

mikejd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
Can anyone here in the forum confirm that the carplay2air does not exhibit the audio delay while making phone calls? Is the general carplay performance similar to the performance when the phone is plugged in? Thanks!
I do not have the audio delay during calls.

Reactions: Azzin

javitxu

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2019
Hi everybody.

I am writing from Spain so first of all sorry for my English.

Looking for information about carplay2air I've come here

I just bought one but it still hasn't arrived. I'm going to install it on a Vw Tiguan. I hope I don't have many problems.

Regarding the delay in the calls, I suppose that the calls could be configured to enter via blutooth instead of the carplay.

I leave you a video of a Swedish website where they sell it more expensive and with another name (re-stream app). There are the steps to configure calls via bluetooth and not enter by carplay

a greeting

ltiozzo

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2019
Yes, I have a little delay with phone calls.
I use carplay2air in mode 2 or 3

rodgermc1

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2019
My carplay2air works unless I put it in reverse while it is booting up. This is a ford sync3 system. To get around this problem I used a time delay module to keep it from booting up for the first 8 sec. This gives me time to back the car out. You have to provide 12v power from somewhere that turns on when you turn on the key. Then use a ubs extension cable. Cut into the side and expose the red wire. Cut the red wire and put one side of the red wire in each connection of the relay.

You can get this on amazon
AmazonBasics USB 3.0 Extension Cable - A-Male to A-Female Adapter Cord - 3.3 Feet (1 Meter)

UCTRONICS DC 12V Time Delay Relay Module for Smart Home, Tachograph, GPS, PLC Control, Industrial Control, Electronic Experiment, Arduino Robot

mikejd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
My carplay2air works unless I put it in reverse while it is booting up. This is a ford sync3 system. To get around this problem I used a time delay module to keep it from booting up for the first 8 sec. This gives me time to back the car out. You have to provide 12v power from somewhere that turns on when you turn on the key. Then use a ubs extension cable. Cut into the side and expose the red wire. Cut the red wire and put one side of the red wire in each connection of the relay.

You can get this on amazon
AmazonBasics USB 3.0 Extension Cable - A-Male to A-Female Adapter Cord - 3.3 Feet (1 Meter)

UCTRONICS DC 12V Time Delay Relay Module for Smart Home, Tachograph, GPS, PLC Control, Industrial Control, Electronic Experiment, Arduino Robot
Yea. Mine fails too when I put in reverse. Uconnect 8.4 system. I just deal with it. Unplug then plug the dongle back in if it fails.

aviegas

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2019
localhost.localdomain
As I said I'm giving Carplay2Air a try. Delivery was a breeze (ordered on a Wednesday morning arrived on monday - used their express shipping @ US$ 14.99 - DHL). But I'm way this week. I will post my experience soon (2020 Jeep Compass) when I return.

Anyone got a firmware update for it?

mikejd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
As I said I'm giving Carplay2Air a try. Delivery was a breeze (ordered on a Wednesday morning arrived on monday - used their express shipping @ US$ 14.99 - DHL). But I'm way this week. I will post my experience soon (2020 Jeep Compass) when I return.

Anyone got a firmware update for it?
Good luck. I reached out to support on latest firmware. No respond yet. Last week he told me between Nov 22 and Nov 29.

MrShades

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2019
Swindon, Wiltshire, UK
Greetings from the UK.... I found this thread a few days ago, whilst looking at wireless carplay adaptors.

I bought a Carlinkit "wireless carplay activator" for my 2017 Audi S4 with factory (wired) carplay. I got it from Aliexpress - shipped to the UK in less than two weeks, and I paid about £82 GBP for it - a bargain in my view.

(Here's the link if anyone's interested: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33046258222.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.45674c4ddE2kfm )

It works very well indeed - I'm surprised at how good it is in fact. It's running the 2019.11.11 software release - not a hint of Chinese text anywhere (which I was prepared for!) and no issues, no problems, no lag (that I can detect), it's great.

Previously I've been running wired carplay for many months, which had obviously improved with iOS13 and the ability to use Waze, with dark mode and split screens etc. This Carlinkit dongle thing works exactly the same - it's plug and play and everything seems to work exactly as it did when wired. I can now use my Qi charger and just drop the iPhone (11 Pro Max running latest iOS 13.2.3 ) in the arm rest - perfect!

Here's a few pics from my car:

77272950_10156754670200658_8204063417183502336_n.jpg

76602162_10156754670345658_6031343297266450432_n.jpg

76613090_10156754670380658_4156003401504653312_n.jpg

76642407_10156754670470658_5897141606674333696_n.jpg
77145886_10156754670185658_3511042086948306944_n.jpg

Reactions: drlunanerd

Antlane

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2019
As these use WiFi to connect, is there an issue with internet connectivity as the devices don’t have any internet access? I’m assuming the cellular data continues to work but want to make sure!

MrShades

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2019
Swindon, Wiltshire, UK
As these use WiFi to connect, is there an issue with internet connectivity as the devices don’t have any internet access? I’m assuming the cellular data continues to work but want to make sure!

Yes, they use bluetooth followed by wifi (which connects automatically and seamlessly) - which means that the phone cannot use wifi for anything else whilst in wireless carplay mode.

I don't see it as an issue at all, as I'd probably never want to have wifi connected whilst driving around anyway (I guess it means that if you had kids in the car who wanted to use an iPhones personal hotspot then you'd have to revert to wired carplay) - the phone just has 4G cellular access as normal, and happily uses that as usual.

Reactions: Antlane

Keith Hartley

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2019
This is starting to seem promising. I have a 2019 Accord and back in August, I purchased the carlinkit wired-to-wireless one. (The model that does NOT require a .apk to be installed.) I was willing to rakw one for the team and try it. Plugged it in, seemed to boot but never showed a WiFi network to connect my phone. I think I actually received a bad unit. I communicated with the seller through WhatsApp who was honestly very helpful and ultimately reimbursed me for shipping back and refunded my purchase too.

up until then, I could not find a single person who had tried one of these... you can find several that require android head units and install .apk files but none like we all are looking for in this thread. Looks like the technology might go mainstream soon if the demand increases...

I also tested in a 19 Silverado to no avail but it did initially try to start CarPlay. Like I said earlier tho, I just think the WiFi wasn’t working on the dongle I received. Might have to give this other brand a try

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Mine is similar. Could find no one so decided to try and order.

Again via WhatsApp got some firmware updates and videos to try and help but it’s never worked. I’m unsure if it’s faulty. The seller did refund me partly as would cost so much to return.

A few firmware updates down line and still won’t connect. He says there is a “big update” coming early Dec, so let’s see but I don’t hold out much hope

trisnadi

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2008
It works very well indeed - I'm surprised at how good it is in fact. It's running the 2019.11.11 software release - not a hint of Chinese text anywhere (which I was prepared for!) and no issues, no problems, no lag (that I can detect), it's great.

Can Siri be activated using the button on the steering wheel? Any noticeable delay with phone calls?

MrShades

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2019
Swindon, Wiltshire, UK
This is starting to seem promising. I have a 2019 Accord and back in August, I purchased the carlinkit wired-to-wireless one. (The model that does NOT require a .apk to be installed.) I was willing to rakw one for the team and try it. Plugged it in, seemed to boot but never showed a WiFi network to connect my phone. I think I actually received a bad unit. I communicated with the seller through WhatsApp who was honestly very helpful and ultimately reimbursed me for shipping back and refunded my purchase too.

up until then, I could not find a single person who had tried one of these... you can find several that require android head units and install .apk files but none like we all are looking for in this thread. Looks like the technology might go mainstream soon if the demand increases...

I also tested in a 19 Silverado to no avail but it did initially try to start CarPlay. Like I said earlier tho, I just think the WiFi wasn’t working on the dongle I received. Might have to give this other brand a try

With an iPhone, and the Carlinkit "activator" for factory wired CarPlay :They connect, initially, via Bluetooth - that's the only thing I had to ensure was that it was Bluetooth paired. The wifi connection is then started automatically and seamlessly (you don't have to do look for wifi networks, connect to them, nothing) by the adaptor. AFAIK before it's paired over bluetooth and connected to the phone, the dongle's wifi won't be active anyway.
[automerge]1574954168[/automerge]
Can Siri be activated using the button on the steering wheel? Any noticeable delay with phone calls?

You can press the "voice command" button on the steering wheel, yes. I just say "Hey Siri" instead.

I certainly don't notice any delay on phone calls - or any more delay than is already inherrent in a normal cellular mobile call anyway!
[automerge]1574954372[/automerge]
Mine is similar. Could find no one so decided to try and order.

Again via WhatsApp got some firmware updates and videos to try and help but it’s never worked. I’m unsure if it’s faulty. The seller did refund me partly as would cost so much to return.

A few firmware updates down line and still won’t connect. He says there is a “big update” coming early Dec, so let’s see but I don’t hold out much hope

If you check out their website, then there's a "v2" hardware dongle coming out in early December as well - so he may mean that.

ltiozzo

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2019
Greetings from the UK.... I found this thread a few days ago, whilst looking at wireless carplay adaptors.

I bought a Carlinkit "wireless carplay activator" for my 2017 Audi S4 with factory (wired) carplay. I got it from Aliexpress - shipped to the UK in less than two weeks, and I paid about £82 GBP for it - a bargain in my view.

(Here's the link if anyone's interested: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33046258222.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.45674c4ddE2kfm )

Previously I've been running wired carplay for many months, which had obviously improved with iOS13 and the ability to use Waze, with dark mode and split screens etc. This Carlinkit dongle thing works exactly the same - it's plug and play and everything seems to work exactly as it did when wired. I can now use my Qi charger and just drop the iPhone (11 Pro Max running latest iOS 13.2.3 ) in the arm rest - perfect!

Here's a few pics from my car:

Can you see on your Virtual Cockpit the name of the Artist, track name and album cover??

live4ever

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2003
What does everyone's Carlinkit or Carplay2air show as in hardware profiler? This one has the August 2019 firmware:
carlinkit-hardware.png

Just wondering if the different firmwares show something different.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.