Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Original poster
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Hello everyone!

We've recently been given the chance to buy the neighbors Toyota Sienna with ridiculously low miles. Unfortunately it neither comes with a backup camera or a very good infotainment system.

I could easily drop a CarPlay unit in there; there's a double din slot front and center, perfect location for navigation. Some of the more well equipped models had the gps there.

I have experience adding a backup camera too, to a rear view. Simple but annoying routing sites.

Anyway I'd like to, in a perfect world, have a car play unit that also handles android auto if need be and that displays the backup camera image. I've never used the wireless ones but I wouldn't mind going that direction either since there's a whole lot more car and trim to deal with lol. That is to say if they're reliable.

So, after that overly lengthy bit of info, do I need a specific CarPlay system? Do they all offer this? I've seen "kits" but I'd like to piece it together myself if that is a possibility.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
Hello everyone!

We've recently been given the chance to buy the neighbors Toyota Sienna with ridiculously low miles. Unfortunately it neither comes with a backup camera or a very good infotainment system.

I could easily drop a CarPlay unit in there; there's a double din slot front and center, perfect location for navigation. Some of the more well equipped models had the gps there.

I have experience adding a backup camera too, to a rear view. Simple but annoying routing sites.

Anyway I'd like to, in a perfect world, have a car play unit that also handles android auto if need be and that displays the backup camera image. I've never used the wireless ones but I wouldn't mind going that direction either since there's a whole lot more car and trim to deal with lol. That is to say if they're reliable.

So, after that overly lengthy bit of info, do I need a specific CarPlay system? Do they all offer this? I've seen "kits" but I'd like to piece it together myself if that is a possibility.

I would suggest doing some research on routing backup camera wiring on your vehicle. I did a wired backup camera on my F150, which is a very long distance, and was able to find a video on YouTube that explained exactly how to run the wire. Without the video, it would have been a nightmare. But it directed me to an existing hole, and exactly how to cut the grommet to allow the wire to go through.

I haven't used one, but I would think a wireless backup camera would be less than ideal. I got a wired one that bolts onto the license plate bracket and was pretty cheap... works perfectly on my Pioneer Carplay/Android Auto receiver... except the receiver just completely died so now I'm in the market for a new one.

Reactions: ColoArtist

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Original poster
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I would suggest doing some research on routing backup camera wiring on your vehicle. I did a wired backup camera on my F150, which is a very long distance, and was able to find a video on YouTube that explained exactly how to run the wire. Without the video, it would have been a nightmare. But it directed me to an existing hole, and exactly how to cut the grommet to allow the wire to go through.

I haven't used one, but I would think a wireless backup camera would be less than ideal. I got a wired one that bolts onto the license plate bracket and was pretty cheap... works perfectly on my Pioneer Carplay/Android Auto receiver... except the receiver just completely died so now I'm in the market for a new one.
I've looked it up and it's all trim pieces that need to be removed. I did the same on a Tacoma and Prius and Toyota's are notorious for having the little clips pop and break and bend. This time around I'm ordering a 25 pack on amazon just to have on hand. They'll work on all three of our vehicles. The back hatch panel on the Prius could absolutely use some love. It's barely hanging on.

Ultimately I realize a wired solution is the better one. It would just be so nice to avoid it lol.

Reactions: ColoArtist
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.