Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drober30

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
In the keynote they mentioned opening your garage door with Siri suggestions?

They show the garage door icon on the CarPlay screen, does anybody know how that will actually work?

Does that mean when you get close to home, the icon will automatically appear on the CarPlay screen?

Anyway to have it always be an option on the screen?

I already have HomeKit working with my garage door opener.

LK LAW

macrumors regular
May 30, 2016
No clue, hey siri in your car should be working with iOS13 though.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
In the keynote they mentioned opening your garage door with Siri suggestions?

They show the garage door icon on the CarPlay screen, does anybody know how that will actually work?

Does that mean when you get close to home, the icon will automatically appear on the CarPlay screen?

Anyway to have it always be an option on the screen?

I already have HomeKit working with my garage door opener.

It appears on the overview screen when you get close. No way to manually make it appear there or pin it. It's pretty neat but I won't use it since I have a button on my visor anyway and, oh lord, the flashing and beeping song and dance that chamberlain openers make when you use HomeKit to close them.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I like this idea from a safety perspective...not having a remote in your car that could be accessible to someone else.

I was looking into upgrading my garage door opener to one of the "smart" ones. Not necessarily for this feature, but so that other members of the family could open it from the outside versus the keypad we currently have that works sporadically...and yeah, I want the speaker attachment as well so I can play music in the garage when I'm working out there.

My concern would be how far away you would need to be for it to work. I'm guessing you have to at least be in your driveway, close, for it to activate? I'm typically opening my garage when I'm a couple of houses away. I roll right in as it is still opening.

drober30

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
I do use the Hey Siri or raise to speak on Apple Watch to open my garage doors, it would just cool to have the option for a push to open using CarPlay.

I too open my doors several houses away so when I roll up to my house, the door(s) are already open.

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2008
I sure do hope they integrate this, I, as someone stated here, use my Apple Watch, but "Hey Siri" is a cluster when you have your ipad, phone, carplay, and apple watch in the car at the time, the Apple Watch is the only one that can respond without "unlocking" before performing the procedure.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I had this appear in my overview screen when I finally figured out how to open my overview screen (thanks @MozMan68 !). What I want to know is how to make the door (I have 2) appear that you want to appear. Does me no good to open my wife's garage door!
[doublepost=1560371249][/doublepost]
It appears on the overview screen when you get close. No way to manually make it appear there or pin it. It's pretty neat but I won't use it since I have a button on my visor anyway and, oh lord, the flashing and beeping song and dance that chamberlain openers make when you use HomeKit to close them.
I use the MyQ system with Homebridge (I keep hoping Chamberlain will relent and allow HomeKit / Shortcuts integration without need for Hub). When I can use that, using HomeKit is no big deal ("Open Dad's Garage Door" and it opens). Are you experiencing something different?

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
I had this appear in my overview screen when I finally figured out how to open my overview screen (thanks @MozMan68 !). What I want to know is how to make the door (I have 2) appear that you want to appear. Does me no good to open my wife's garage door!
I use the MyQ system with Homebridge (I keep hoping Chamberlain will relent and allow HomeKit / Shortcuts integration without need for Hub). When I can use that, using HomeKit is no big deal ("Open Dad's Garage Door" and it opens). Are you experiencing something different?

I only have one Garage Door. We can't all be fancy :p

Seriously though it's a good question I hadn't thought about. Favorites wouldn't work because they are for everyone. I guess you could try putting you or phone's name in the device name. I suspect it just hasn't been thought out though. Feedback time perhaps.

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
I doubt it's a matter of Chamberlain relenting for a couple of reasons:
1: While pretty much all of the door openers they sell today have MyQ, they don't all have WiFi. Any opener that doesn't have WiFi will always need a bridge of some sort. That's why they had the old ethernet bridge.
2: I forget which came first, but I remember that Apple announced they were relenting on requiring the hardware chip for HomeKit devices around the same time that Chamberlain released their hardware bridge (within a few months perhaps). I'm sure Chamberlain wants to make sure they get back their investment in having to develop that new hardware bridge and all that, and I would bet they weren't too pleased to learn that if they had just waited a year or two it may not have been necessary.

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
I've had a few of my friends have that option on their carplay.. doesn't work on mine. I have to go into the app in order for it to work. And mine is connected to Homekit as well. So I'm not sure how it all really works. If certain brands work, or if all homekit connected stuff works and I have it setup incorrectly? I know all my Homekit lights turn on and off when I'm no where near my home via my iphone. So i'd assume the same would go for the garage door.. and of course IOS 13 is in beta which is probably another reason why some stuff works for me and others don't. This isn't something I've spent a ton of time testing.. but I probably should.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
The button to open a garage door via the CarPlay "console" screen has reappeared in beta 5, so I'm hoping its here for good. I would like the option to pick which of my doors gets displayed in the "button" but for now I'm just happy its back.

bova80

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
The button to open a garage door via the CarPlay "console" screen has reappeared in beta 5, so I'm hoping its here for good. I would like the option to pick which of my doors gets displayed in the "button" but for now I'm just happy its back.

I have 2 doors but it only shows one and not the one I want. Anyway to change this?

Reactions: daitarn3

nottooshabby

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
I have 2 doors but it only shows one and not the one I want. Anyway to change this?

So those of you using the homekit garage door opener feature with carplay, do you still need to unlock your iPhone if you hit the new shortcut button on the carplay screen(ios 13)?

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
So those of you using the homekit garage door opener feature with carplay, do you still need to unlock your iPhone if you hit the new shortcut button on the carplay screen(ios 13)?

No, not to use this feature. Which of course makes no logical sense: if it’s a” safety feature “ without CarPlay, it’s a safety feature with CarPlay.

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
No, not to use this feature. Which of course makes no logical sense: if it’s a” safety feature “ without CarPlay, it’s a safety feature with CarPlay.
I think this is a safety feature in a different way though. They probably don't want you fiddling with your phone to unlock it when you're driving.

But doesn’t that result in them both opening?
Ah, I thought that's what you were looking to do. I misunderstood.

lifjoy

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2011
...how to make the door (I have 2) appear that you want to appear? Does me no good to open my wife's garage door!

I found a workaround (which may be overkill, but it works)...
(0) Park your car near (or in) your garage.
(1) Remove the unwanted (second, third, or fourth) garage door opener(s) from the iPhone's Home app.
(2) Go to your iPhone's Settings app > General > CarPlay > My Car - tap on your car, and then tap "Forget this Car".
(3) Connect your iPhone to your car (in my car, I use a USB to Lightning cable).
(4) Wait for the CarPlay user interface to appear on your car's display, and verify that your desired garage door opener appears in the bottom right corner.
(5) Disconnect your iPhone from your car (unplug the USB connector).
(6) Add your other garage door openers back to the iPhone's Home app.

This was really easy using the BestBuy Insignia garage door openers. I would imagine that it might be a pain using the Chamberlain myIQ garage door openers system since re-pairing is a pain (I never got the myIQ system to work properly at my house, so I returned it).

Reactions: guinness8878

guinness8878

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2009
This worked perfect for me as well, thank you for the heads up.

(1) Remove the unwanted (second, third, or fourth) garage door opener(s) from the iPhone's Home app.
(2) Go to your iPhone's Settings app > General > CarPlay > My Car - tap on your car, and then tap "Forget this Car".
(3) Connect your iPhone to your car (in my car, I use a USB to Lightning cable).
(4) Wait for the CarPlay user interface to appear on your car's display, and verify that your desired garage door opener appears in the bottom right corner.

This was really easy using the BestBuy Insignia garage door openers. I would imagine that it might be a pain using the Chamberlain myIQ garage door openers system since re-pairing is a pain (I never got the myIQ system to work properly at my house, so I returned it).

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York

I have the same Garage openers. CarPlay always defaults to my wife’s garage door whether it be in my car or hers. If I use this method, will we both default to my garage door after? I’d rather she have the functionality than me.

daitarn3

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2019
I have the same problem
I bought an Ismartgate 3 channel ( gate, garage door and pedestrian door is as I use it)
I set the gate as first channel and it start working in CarPlay immediately.
I had to bring back to apple my new iPhone 11 pro for bluetooth problems and continues reboot and I went back to an old iPhone 7 ( waiting to have back my iPhone 11 pro ).
At the same time I used siri to open garage door and pedestrian door ( that is very helpful even if I had to unlock the phone every time.... )
Now the garage door appear in CarPlay, I try to use Siri several times to open gate but no success.
I don't want unpair the ismartgate... it's always a big pain to repair

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.