Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Made a pleasant discovery today. Last night I updated to iOS 13.4. I have two garage door openers from Insignia. Since the feature was introduced, my wife’s door always showed up in the CarPlay dashboard for Siri suggestions. I usually close mine in the Home app or ask Siri after pulling out the garage. Well just an hour ago, when leaving for work, I switched to the dashboard view in CarPlay to see if Waze would show up as one of the new features and low and behold, my garage door showed up in Siri suggestions. Hope this wasn’t a glitch and Siri can now discern which door is mine and which is my wife’s. Didn’t make any changes other than updating to 13.4.

Reactions: gwhizkids

slypx

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2017
Made a pleasant discovery today. Last night I updated to iOS 13.4. I have two garage door openers from Insignia. Since the feature was introduced, my wife’s door always showed up in the CarPlay dashboard for Siri suggestions. I usually close mine in the Home app or ask Siri after pulling out the garage. Well just an hour ago, when leaving for work, I switched to the dashboard view in CarPlay to see if Waze would show up as one of the new features and low and behold, my garage door showed up in Siri suggestions. Hope this wasn’t a glitch and Siri can now discern which door is mine and which is my wife’s. Didn’t make any changes other than updating to 13.4.

Same here, I finally have my own garage door showing up on my dashboard rather than the wife’s door ! Didn’t change any setting, just updated to iOS 13.4.

BTW Apple made the feature available for other maps App to show up in the dashboard but apps developers have to make adjustments to their apps first to do so. We should see it coming soon

Ref : https://appleinsider.com/articles/2...ay-dashboard-support-for-third-party-map-apps

Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Same here, I finally have my own garage door showing up on my dashboard rather than the wife’s door ! Didn’t change any setting, just updated to iOS 13.4.

BTW Apple made the feature available for other maps App to show up in the dashboard but apps developers have to make adjustments to their apps first to do so. We should see it coming soon

Ref : https://appleinsider.com/articles/2...ay-dashboard-support-for-third-party-map-apps
Yeah, after I posted, I read that the individual app developers have to update to enable. I mostly use Apple Maps anyway but wanted to see the others in action.
Did you by chance check if your wife’s garage opener still shows up in her dashboard? I still have to do that but I’m stoked that I get mine on my dashboard.

slypx

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2017
Same here. It just switched to my door instead. Bummer but I use it more than my wife does anyway.
I’m good on my side she doesn’t use the garage door opener in the CarPlay dashboard, she’s just happy with the door opener button on her mirror ?

slypx

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2017
I'd like to see Chamberlin to offer a version for CarPlay.
You can bypass the lack of CarPlay dedicated app using Apple's Homekit. I have a 15 years old Chamberlain belt drive system. I use a MyQ home bridge (LiftMaster sister cie MYQ 819LMB) with 2 MyQ door sensors (2 doors) connected to my Apple Homekit. I can now see the garage door option on my CarPlay screen when within 1/4 mile (approx) radius from home showing up in the lower right corner !! It is not only an icon, but a functional one, click on it and it will open or close the garage door with, sometime, maybe a 2-3 sec delay. Didn't try it with Siri yet but should also work... will try once out of this confinement !!!!

The MyQ app linked to Homekit also allows me to control the garage doors from my other devices such as my iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Screenshot From CarPlay
IMG_3983.png

Screenshot From Apple Watch
IMG_4033.png

Last edited:

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
There are no CarPlay apps for garage door openers or any HomeKit devices for that matter. The opener showing up in CarPlay is just a Siri suggestion from the iPhone based on your location.
[automerge]1587431559[/automerge]
You can bypass the lack of CarPlay dedicated app using Apple's Homekit. I have a 15 years old Chamberlain belt drive system. I use a MyQ home bridge (LiftMaster sister cie MYQ 819LMB) with 2 MyQ door sensors (2 doors) connected to my Apple Homekit. I can now see the garage door option on my CarPlay screen when within 1/4 mile (approx) radius from home showing up in the lower right corner !! It is not only an icon, but a functional one, click on it and it will open or close the garage door with, sometime, maybe a 2-3 sec delay. Didn't try it with Siri yet but should also work... will try once out of this confinement !!!!

The MyQ app linked to Homekit also allows me to control the garage doors from my other devices such as my iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Screenshot From CarPlay
View attachment 907647

Screenshot From Apple Watch
View attachment 907648
If it’s in HomeKit, it most certainly will work with Siri in CarPlay which is just data taken from your iPhone.

Reactions: slypx

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I've been struggling to see the garage door opener (Insignia controller with a 15-year-old Genie opener) in CarPlay ... I was doing research and ran across this thread... the piece that I've been missing all along was the "Siri Suggestions in Dashboard". I turned that on and Bob's your uncle... the garage door button showed right up!

Last edited:

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I've been struggling to see the garage door opener (Insignia controller with a 15-year-old Genie opener) in CarPlay ... I was doing research and ran across this thread... the piece that I've been missing all along was the "Siri Suggestions in Dashboard". I turned that on, Bob's your uncle... the garage door button showed right up!
Good call!!! Totally forgot about that since I always have Siri suggestions turned on.

ScottC7

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2008
Orbiting Planet Apple
Siri suggestions for CarPlay had been working perfectly for me on my iPhone 11 Pro - it would always suggest my garage door and I could open it on way into the neighborhood. However, now that I have the 12 Pro, it continues to suggest my wife’s garage door.

I’ve been doing some research on this and so far I haven’t found a straightforward and accurate way to get CarPlay to cue up my garage door, again. Anyone have any ideas? If it helps, I’m using Chamberlain’s garage door opener and HomeKit solution.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Siri suggestions for CarPlay had been working perfectly for me on my iPhone 11 Pro - it would always suggest my garage door and I could open it on way into the neighborhood. However, now that I have the 12 Pro, it continues to suggest my wife’s garage door.

I’ve been doing some research on this and so far I haven’t found a straightforward and accurate way to get CarPlay to cue up my garage door, again. Anyone have any ideas? If it helps, I’m using Chamberlain’s garage door opener and HomeKit solution.

Likewise, mine is working flawlessly... and I only have the Insignia opener add-on on the large, double door... there is no Insignia add-on on the smaller, single garage door.

Reactions: ScottC7

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
How has Apple overlooked this again? If your AppleID is opening a certain door everyday, then Siri should be able to learn that and show on your CarPlay screen.

Reactions: ScottC7

ScottC7

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2008
Orbiting Planet Apple
How has Apple overlooked this again? If your AppleID is opening a certain door everyday, then Siri should be able to learn that and show on your CarPlay screen.
One would think so. Frankly, I open my wife’s door (using Siri) so infrequently that I’m amazed it would suggest it at all. I’m pondering removing her door from HomeKit, but this Chamberlain HomeKit box was a nightmare to set up, and I’m scared to even touch the bloody thing. And even if I do, it’s no guarantee that it will fix the issue.

I wish you could manually assign certain HomeKit products to CarPlay, and assign a priority order, too.

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
One would think so. Frankly, I open my wife’s door (using Siri) so infrequently that I’m amazed it would suggest it at all. I’m pondering removing her door from HomeKit, but this Chamberlain HomeKit box was a nightmare to set up, and I’m scared to even touch the bloody thing. And even if I do, it’s no guarantee that it will fix the issue.

I wish you could manually assign certain HomeKit products to CarPlay, and assign a priority order, too.
Surely the CarPlay engineers at Apple have more than one garage door. I can’t see this not annoying them too lol. Or is this a Siri function? Who knows... I’m gonna write to them.

Buran

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2007
Two years later and my garage door (we only have one) randomly stopped showing a few days ago. Toggling suggestions off and on again hasn’t fixed it.

Seems like a long-running glitch that has showed up now in iOS 16 as well.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
I am struggling with similar situation. We have two Meross garage door openers, one for single door and the other one for double door. For whatever reasons, only the single one pops up on my wife dashboard, but that is not the one that we use to park our cars. Any idea how to update that so the other garage door show up instead?

Last edited:

inkahauts

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
I am struggling with similar situation. We have two Meross garage door openers, one for single door and the other one for double door. For whatever reasons, only the single one pops up on my wife dashboard, but that is not the one that we use to park our cars. Any idea how to update that so the other garage door show up instead?

Try using your phone to open the right door while you are in the car with CarPlay on to open it. It should then pop that one up next time you come home. It always seems to show the last one used…. At least for me.

Reactions: mlody

mlody

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
Try using your phone to open the right door while you are in the car with CarPlay on to open it. It should then pop that one up next time you come home. It always seems to show the last one used…. At least for me.
I will give it a shot. Thank you

BadBiscuit

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2020
Washington, USA
I will give it a shot. Thank you
Did that work? Last time I tried the selection of door by CarPlay was random, but perhaps there have been updates since that resolve that. My "solution" was to only have one door in HomeKit, and to operate the less frequently used door, only from the Meross app. Annoying, yes. However I found it more annoying to retest on every iOS update only to be disappointed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.