Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sclawis300

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
Just got CarPlay added in my 2018 sienna and I can’t seem to get HomeKit to show up anywhere. I have read about Siri suggestions but I don’t know where that is supposed to be either. What am I missing?

Does it only show up if you have a garage door or something?

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Correct. There is no HomeKit in CarPlay. All you would get is the garage door button in Siri suggestions if you have a HomeKit enabled garage door opener. That would be on the right side of the multi function screen.

Reactions: scottlitch

sclawis300

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
Correct. There is no HomeKit in CarPlay. All you would get is the garage door button in Siri suggestions if you have a HomeKit enabled garage door opener. That would be on the right side of the multi function screen.
I guess I have to buy a new garage door opener now. Don’t tell my wife.

techwarrior

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2009
Colorado
I have an Insignia (Best Buy) garage opener integrated with Home Kit. When Car Play is the focus on my Bolt EV, as I get close to the end of my driveway, the icon for the opener appears in the Car Play dashboard.

There is no Home app in Car Play per se. Aside from the above, the only HK integration is with Siri in the car.

Reactions: sclawis300

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Just got CarPlay added in my 2018 sienna and I can’t seem to get HomeKit to show up anywhere. I have read about Siri suggestions but I don’t know where that is supposed to be either. What am I missing?

Does it only show up if you have a garage door or something?
You will see some HomeKit prompts, but you have to enable show Suggestions in Dashboard on the Settings menu within the CarPlay head unit.

1610208270183.png

1610208385956.png

Last edited:
Reactions: scottlitch

sclawis300

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
Ok I must have just missed it the first time I looked because I double checked and suggestions are on. I wrongly assumed it was showing my calendar when it was actually Siri suggestions displaying upcoming event. Would be nice to have a little more control over what is displayed.

scottlitch

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
When the Garage Door shows up on my CarPlay screen, I usually just press the genie opener button in the visor instead. I do like the feature as an option. I'm a creature of habit with this one.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Can’t believe after all this time, only one garage door shows up in CarPlay and of course for me, it’s the door for the spare garage that we never use.

inkahauts

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
Can’t believe after all this time, only one garage door shows up in CarPlay and of course for me, it’s the door for the spare garage that we never use.

Delete both garage doors, then add the one you don’t want first and the one you do want showing last. It always shows the last one added to HomeKit

Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Delete both garage doors, then add the one you don’t want first and the one you do want showing last. It always shows the last one added to HomeKit
Yes I noticed this too, thanks, but two issues.
- We regularly use two garage doors so one of us is out.
- Removing and adding a LiftMaster MyQ is the ultimate pain in the anus lol. I had one of my ceiling mounted openers replaced on warranty a couple months ago and I tried for days to get it connected back into the MyQ HomeKit Hub. I eventually got lucky. Turns out that’s the door we rarely use which makes sense why it shows up in CarPlay. Last one connected.

We just use the HomeLink buttons in the rear view mirror or Siri but it’s nice to have the tech show up on the CarPlay screen. I still think CarPlay should have a Home app, a dumbed down version at least.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.