Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobrap1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2019
With the new side by side display in carplay, maps is always showing. Is it using cellular data even if you are not navigating? If so, I guess Apple thinks everyone has unlimited data. Any idea how much data maps actually uses? Thanks, kinda new to this.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I can't answer you exactly - it uses data to download the map background. I have a very limited data plan but have never had an issue with usage when I use maps in "old" carplay. However, I don't normally drive long distances so I'm not using Carplay for hours at a time.

bobrap1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2019
OK, thanks. My concern is with the fact that maps is never off in carplay, I think. It's a pain turning cellular data on and off, but, maybe something I'll have to learn to live with.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
With the new side by side display in carplay, maps is always showing. Is it using cellular data even if you are not navigating? If so, I guess Apple thinks everyone has unlimited data. Any idea how much data maps actually uses? Thanks, kinda new to this.

Can't say for sure how much data maps uses... but if it's a concern, why do the side-by-side display? You cannot configure what apps appear in the different sections, so what's to be gained by using that arrangement? Just use the single app mode and call it a day.

Reactions: Solver

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Maps is cached for your area...for the most part. Very little data is used when not actually navigating, and even then, still very little.

Just track it on your phone to see.

M115CLE

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2016
I’m in the UK and use TomTom Go as my main Sat nav, for 2 reasons.

- Downloads the whole Map I need (UK & Ireland) can narrow this down if needed however I’m a sales rep covering the whole UK & Ireland.

- Displays and alerts me to all speed cameras (fixed & mobile).

Until Apple Maps can do this I’m not interested. I’d love for the default CarPlay page to allow us the option to choose which map we can want there rather than being default to Apple maps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.