Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spblat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
Now that people are starting to get to use CarPlay, demand for Waze will continue to increase. For Waze to work on CarPlay, it seems to me that several things would have to happen:

1. Apple would have to decide that it's a good idea for Waze to be supported in CarPlay.
  2. Google would have to decide that it's a good idea for Waze to be supported in CarPlay.
  3. Apple would have to extend the CarPlay API to permit Waze to control and draw to the screen. The current CarPlay API is currently only about music and playlists and stuff.

Do you think my analysis is correct? What's your assessment of the likelihood of these outcomes? And if you want Waze on CarPlay can I get a retweet?

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
You're probably right in your analysis. My hope is that the first version of CarPlay will be similar to TouchID: in its introduction it's limited to tightly controlled apps, but is then opened up so that other apps can make use of it if they wish. If that doesn't happen and everything requires Apple's clearance, then I don't think we'll see Waze supported on CarPlay. Doing so would require that Google Maps and other GPS apps be granted access. Apple may not be mining user location data to sell, but more users means more accurate traffic data, and more eyes means more Maps errors being pointed out for fixing. Now that Waze data is shunted to Google, enabling Waze would be helping Google Maps.

If Waze were available on CarPlay, I'd be pushing to get one of Pioneer's CarPlay-enabled units installed. As things stand, I'll continue to use my phone in a car mount. When it's time to buy a new car in the future I'll probably shop around for something that has CarPlay support included and will probably use Maps for convenience most of the time, but I'd really prefer to stick with Waze. (That crown isn't going to keep earning points to maintain itself!)

LaynieGorilla

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2011
PA
If Waze were available on CarPlay, I'd be pushing to get one of Pioneer's CarPlay-enabled units installed. As things stand, I'll continue to use my phone in a car mount. When it's time to buy a new car in the future I'll probably shop around for something that has CarPlay support included and will probably use Maps for convenience most of the time, but I'd really prefer to stick with Waze. (That crown isn't going to keep earning points to maintain itself!)

This. Waze is better than any map selection out there. If pioneer comes out with CarPlay support with Waze, I would definitely see about getting one installed. Besides I like my crown too :D

spblat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
This. Waze is better than any map selection out there. If pioneer comes out with CarPlay support with Waze, I would definitely see about getting one installed. Besides I like my crown too :D

I felt this way for a long time. I tried AppRadio with Waze and found it lacking. I'm a big believer in Proclip. But as Google Maps has improved lately (I especially like the lane selection guidance) I've found myself using Waze less and less. And now that I've been using Carplay for the last day or so I'm finding the Apple solution quite satisfactory. In fact when you're navigating with Carplay you get something rather neat: a list of turns on the phone and a live map on the radio.

If my experience is a guide, It's in Apple's interest to continue to deliver on improvements to its native maps functionality, and people like me will gradually quit grousing about wanting Waze in CarPlay mode.

I still want the CarPlay API to be expanded and wide open though. The TouchID model seems appropriate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.