Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psionicsin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
Metro-Detroit, MI
Maybe this has never been thought of. But if we have CarPlay, why isn’t there some sort of connection with the car that would automatically give you info on your vehicle?

No need to ever buy those OBD devices as the app would be able to relay things to your phone using an interface app.

Am I totally off base here? Or is this doable, but just not done?

Reactions: AMTYVLE

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I wouldn't mind seeing something like this, but...

I doubt this will ever happen, as CarPlay is designed to be safe while driving, and doesn't have visual things as basic as album art, let alone a bunch of info about a car's health.

CarPlay is really, really boring when you think about it.

psionicsin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
Metro-Detroit, MI
Just seems like a logical thing. Safety features aside, knowing your cars health seems like a pretty big safety hazard not to know.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I doubt this will ever happen, as CarPlay is designed to be safe while driving, and doesn't have visual things as basic as album art, let alone a bunch of info about a car's health.

Just seems like a logical thing. Safety features aside, knowing your cars health seems like a pretty big safety hazard not to know.

I was referring to CarPlay making it safer because it is supposed to reduce distractions, meaning keeping your eyes on the road more because there really isn't anything to do or look at. That's why there is very limited information given on any of the CarPlay apps.

I guess it could be a CarPlay app that is disabled while moving, and if there is a CEL or dash light, you can stop, put the parking brake on, and check the Car Health app to see what is going on with car.

Maybe it could keep track of maintenance, and give reminders during start up, or send notifications to your phone to check out later.

Again, I am not saying it is a bad idea, I just am skeptical that Apple will allow it. They won't even allow third-party navigation apps on CarPlay (an assumption). Also, I am not saying CarPlay is not useful, but it is one of their more boring, and overrated products imo.

Reactions: psionicsin

chevelleguy3

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2013
Mckinney, TX
It depends on if you have a factory OEM system that is CarPlay. If you have an aftermarket unit such as a Pioneer, Alpine, Kenwood, etc you can get the factory integration piece by iDatalink Maestro which will retain any vehicle controls that went through the factory radio and also run diagnostics too.

http://maestro.idatalink.com

Reactions: ColoArtist

ColoArtist

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2012
Denver, CO
Excellent idea. I agree it would probably need to be something which is accessed while stopped, but maybe some things like a warning light could be a pop up, such as an engine warning light. With the app it might go into more detail about what triggered the warning. Additional information like what I'm receiving from the Maestro Rr unit I added when I installed an Alpine iLX-107 in my 2008 CRV.

The CRV has a warning light for low tire pressure. However, it doesn't say which tire. With the Maestro I also would get a warning, but it not only shows which tire, but the pressure and temperature for each tire.

IMG_2057.jpg IMG_2056.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.