Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LordVic

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 7, 2011
Having issue where when I'm connected to CarPlay, I don't get any notifications to my watch.

That and Most notifications aren't appearing on Car Play screen either.

I only see the notifications for App's that CarPlay natively supports. So right now, that's basically Apple First party and WhatsApp.

None of my OpsGenie Notifications show. None of my Gmail, Teams, etc on the car screen

ZERO notifications come to my watch. They completely just stop.

Any fix for this?

burnthefires

macrumors member
May 26, 2017
I asked support about that after getting my Watch last year. The simple answer is no, that's the way it's designed - you don't get notifications on your phone or watch when connected to CarPlay. It's supposedly to not get you distracted while driving, but I still think it should be configurable as for example Siri isn't available in my language so i can't really use the Messages in CarPlay, but the dictate function on iOS/Watch works perfectly fine. Unfortunately while connected to CarPlay i don't get any messages on it so can't reply...

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
What else is wrong with this “feature” is if step out of your car for any reason while connected to CarPlay, you miss calls that otherwise would’ve notified you on the watch.

Lee_Bo

Cancelled
Mar 26, 2017
I’ve been using CarPlay for a couple of years and everything described here is normal working conditions. The only notifications you will receive on the audio unit is for phone calls and iMessage, although iMessage is a visual notification only, no audio.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
I just noticed that I don’t get email notifications on my watch when connected to CarPlay, and obviously not on the car screen either. I swear it wasn’t always like this.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I just noticed that I don’t get email notifications on my watch when connected to CarPlay, and obviously not on the car screen either. I swear it wasn’t always like this.
There’s a whole slew of bugs going on with the watch when connected to multiple devices. If I have my AirPods in and answer a phone call from my watch, the watch speaker picks it up instead of routing to the AirPods via the iPhone. If I connect to my AirPods from the watch while on the call, I have to manually connect my AirPods back to the phone after ending the call. This is since the last update I noticed. Annoying and surprised it hasn’t been fixed yet. I’m seeing posts regarding this in other forums.

Reactions: TonyC28

DB2k

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2007
ok well im glad its not just me but my experience is a little different. When I connect to CarPlay and am playing music my watch shows Now Playing, which is redundant because my hands are already on the steering wheel where I have controls. However when I get texts for sure and maybe WhatsApp messages, car play has a notification, and my phone does but my watch doesn't. More annoying is that when I disconnect from CarPlay, my watch doesn't even have a history of anything and so if I then go to messages on my watch, the message isn't even there. Its a really annoying workflow.
What I want is, Now Playing to be there when im playing music on my iPhone, but if my iPhone is connected to CarPlay it should just behave as a watch. Now maybe there's a discussion on if it should vibrate or not but it should log notifications, mirror my iPhone and also sync the iMessages.

This is a really crap experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.