Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nocture

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2010
Hello

I have a new VW Golf (2017) and I used Carplay with my iPhone 7 with no issues. Now I got an iPhone X and am now unable to connect with it. When plugging in USB-Lightening cable it comes up as "USB 2" whereas my previous phone was properly recognized. When going to the "App" section in the car, it does find an iPhone but when tapping Carplay it says that it is unable to connect?

Anyone has similar issues?

Thanks

æblepej

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2017
Hello

I have a new VW Golf (2017) and I used Carplay with my iPhone 7 with no issues. Now I got an iPhone X and am now unable to connect with it. When plugging in USB-Lightening cable it comes up as "USB 2" whereas my previous phone was properly recognized. When going to the "App" section in the car, it does find an iPhone but when tapping Carplay it says that it is unable to connect?

Thanks

Same issue here. Volvo from 2017, CarPlay worked fine with my previous iPhone 6s, now with iPhone X it asks me whether I would like to add the phone to Apple CarPlay. When I click on the CarPlay logo, I get the following error message:

Start Apple Car Play: You have chosen to use this Apple device as iPod. To use Apple CarPlay, disconnect and connect your Apple device again. Apple CarPlay works with selected Apple devices".​

And yes, I can use the Phone as iPod in my car entertainment but that is not what I wanted. Bluetooth and charging works fine too, but not Apple CarPlay.

Any idea what this is caused by? Maybe Apple CarPlay needs an update?

-> Iphone X, latest SW. Volvo SW updated at dealer 3 weeks ago, Siri is enabled, tried reconnecting (as suggested by popup), restarting both iPhone and car etc. No solution yest.

night141

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2017
Same issue here. Volvo from 2017, CarPlay worked fine with my previous iPhone 6s, now with iPhone X it asks me whether I would like to add the phone to Apple CarPlay. When I click on the CarPlay logo, I get the following error message:

Start Apple Car Play: You have chosen to use this Apple device as iPod. To use Apple CarPlay, disconnect and connect your Apple device again. Apple CarPlay works with selected Apple devices".​

And yes, I can use the Phone as iPod in my car entertainment but that is not what I wanted. Bluetooth and charging works fine too, but not Apple CarPlay.

Any idea what this is caused by? Maybe Apple CarPlay needs an update?

-> Iphone X, latest SW. Volvo SW updated at dealer 3 weeks ago, Siri is enabled, tried reconnecting (as suggested by popup), restarting both iPhone and car etc. No solution yest.

I'm having the same issue with my 2017 BMW 5-series and my iPhone X. I have a similar error message to yours (delete then reconnect your phone as a Carplay device), and connecting as a Carplay device ends up in an error loop.

What's even stranger is with my iPhone 7 I was able to switch between being connected as a basic Bluetooth Phone and Carplay on demand from the car's device manager, but now those options are gone. Software on the car is up to date and running the latest iOS on the phone.

Reactions: cmeisenzahl

æblepej

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2017
I'm having the same issue with my 2017 BMW 5-series and my iPhone X. I have a similar error message to yours (delete then reconnect your phone as a Carplay device), and connecting as a Carplay device ends up in an error loop.

What's even stranger is with my iPhone 7 I was able to switch between being connected as a basic Bluetooth Phone and Carplay on demand from the car's device manager, but now those options are gone. Software on the car is up to date and running the latest iOS on the phone.

Hi, was still abe to switch between bluetooth phone/music and using the iPhone as iPod but then these SW parts are car specific, so probably not comprable.

My problem is solved now, but I do not really know why. Yesterday I noticed that my iPhone did not sync on the latest albums I downloaded on AppleMusic on my MacBook, so I disabled iCloudMusicLiibrary in settings->music (requires a restart to take effect), synced via iTunes (which caused all my proprietary music and playlists to sync which took some time), then activated iCloudMusicLibray again (option chosen to replace music).

On my way to work this morning, the problem still persisted but on my way home, I noticed that the iPod option in my entertainment system was grayed out and when I clicked on AppleCarPlay it did succesfully load! Quite a surprise :eek:)

On the iPhone X screen I was asked to confirm that CarPlay also is granted access to the phone with lock screen on. That was all. No idea what the cure was but now it works just fine.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Mine works fine on my 2017 VW. I deleted the Car Play connection from the car and then added the iPhone X just as I had added my older phone. Seems to be working great.

ubersoldat

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2010
Mine works fine on my 2017 VW. I deleted the Car Play connection from the car and then added the iPhone X just as I had added my older phone. Seems to be working great.

how did you delete the car play connection? i have a passat with discover pro satnav and i can't find such an option.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Will have to recheck on my car but since we are in the midst of a blizzard I don't think I go out right now.:)

Andy E

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2016
Auckland, New Zealand
Hello

Thanks

Almost identical issues. Only been a problem since I got an iPhone X.
Other iPhones running iOS11 work fine.
And my iPhone worked on various other cars, but not my 2015 VW Passat R (NZ model).
Frustrating in the extreme!

broadbean

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
In our VW Golf 7 it was really bad for a while. Not sure if it was the recent firmware upgrade in the head unit at its first annual service last November, iPhone X, iOS update or the cable(s).

Tried many combinations but it seemed the Bluetooth connection was a bit agressive and disconnecting the CarPlay connection. Deleted the pairing and it’s been better lately, but still testing.

Andy E

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2016
Auckland, New Zealand
Almost identical issues. Only been a problem since I got an iPhone X.
Other iPhones running iOS11 work fine.
And my iPhone worked on various other cars, but not my 2015 VW Passat R (NZ model).
Frustrating in the extreme!

Visit to my VW dealer today.
They tell me it's a known issue on the VW databases, with a software update being worked on.
No idea when that will be available!

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
They tell me it's a known issue on the VW databases, with a software update being worked on.
Do they have to test it on monkeys first?:eek::eek::eek:

[rant]This is the one area that ALL car manufactures FAIL on except Tesla. When are they going to learn that modern cars need to be updated and it should be a seamless path.[/rant]

broadbean

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
When are they going to learn that modern cars need to be updated and it should be a seamless path.

No updates are ever seamless. The issue is the way updates are done. Over the Air for your iPhone is relatively easy. Taking time off, leaving your car at the dealer's? That can be a PITA.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
No updates are ever seamless. The issue is the way updates are done. Over the Air for your iPhone is relatively easy. Taking time off, leaving your car at the dealer's? That can be a PITA.
Then relatively easy (I meant [and said] "seamless PATH" as in the DELIVERY PATH/method of the update) like an iPhone or Tesla (which is auto downloaded to the car). OTA and just install vs trying to find out if there is an update, then contacting your dealer (who will have to research) to setup an appointment to drop off your car.

Screen Shot 2018-02-01 at 7.02.17 PM.png

Last edited:

Andy E

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2016
Auckland, New Zealand

OK - so I'm on the iOS public beta. And on 11.3 beta 2 which I installed a couple of days ago CarPlay is working fine again.

iPhone X, iOS 11.3 beta 2, VW Passat.

I'm happy again, but makes me wonder why VW told me they needed to do a software update. Appears more like it's an Apple issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.