Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Richard28

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 9, 2016
So I have a Tado thermostat (which is brilliant) and Apple TV and is all connected correctly so I can remotely control the thermostat through Siri / Apple home kit - so all good.

However, whenever I try to change the home temperature setting in the car, through CarPlay, it says I cannot control the car temperature through CarPlay.

Very frustrating, I am not wanting to change the car temperature - I can do that very easily, but Siri refuses all instructions to change the home temperature via the CarPlay interface... always thinks I am trying to change car settings (which it cannot do, and tells me so).

This is winding me up big time, as would be very convenient to do hands free on the way home whilst driving.

Anyone have similar problems or ideas on a fix?

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Why would you expect CARPLAY to update a non-car non-iPhone item? Carplay lets you use some iPhone functions on the car screen and speakers - it isn't anything else

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
However, whenever I try to change the home temperature setting in the car, through CarPlay, it says I cannot control the car temperature through CarPlay.
So you're pressing the Siri button on your head-unit and asking Siri to change the temp and it won't let you? I'll try that on my way home tonight on mine and see how it goes.

Richard28

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 9, 2016
CTHarryH

The iPhone can do this, and the idea of CarPlay, as I see it, is the ability for you to control certain features via your voice whilst driving. If CarPlay cannot control homekit items whilst driving, which seems to be the case for my thermostat, I would question why this is prohibited?, what purpose does it serve?, when I could simply park the car and then do it on siri through the phone - not great!

So you're pressing the Siri button on your head-unit and asking Siri to change the temp and it won't let you? I'll try that on my way home tonight on mine and see how it goes.

Yes, exactly that. thanks - let me know how you get on!

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Yes, exactly that. thanks - let me know how you get on!
Worked OK for me. I tried it multiple times on the drive home (setting it to different temperatures), and it set it successfully each time.

I didn't think that "speaking to CarPlay" was any different than speaking to Siri on an iOS device (or Apple Watch). So far they've all been able to do the same commands for me...

Richard28

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 9, 2016
What happens if you ask Siri what the weather is for today? Does this work for you?

yes this and other siri functions work... its just setting the home temperature that fails as SIRI always seems to think I am trying to alter the temperature in the car... which I am not :(

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
yes this and other siri functions work... its just setting the home temperature that fails as SIRI always seems to think I am trying to alter the temperature in the car... which I am not :(
Have you updated to iOS 11.2.1? This addresses HomeKit bugs.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
How exactly are you asking?

You may need to use keywords like "my home" or whatever. "Set the temperature to 68 at home", "Set my home thermostat to 68", etc. If there are things that similar Siri gets generic with it or goes to the closest option.

You may already be doing this but I figured I would just state the obvious.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I say " Set Main Floor thermostat to 68º" and it works every time. I may fo kicks try some other phrasing and see if that works also.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.