Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robgreene

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
When calls come in or go out during navigation, why does Carplay not shift to a Split Screen of Navigation + Phone Call instead of Full Screen Call? It's so dangerous taking navigation away entirely like that, particularly when people are in congested areas where lots of turns may be necessary.

Yes, I've submitted this through official Apple feedback channels.

Hoping a few others will read this and do the same: https://www.apple.com/feedback/

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
I would not call it dangerous, for me it’s more of a nuisance. It takes me 1-2 seconds to get back to a split screen with a press of a button, so I can still see the map and a smaller call window nearby.

I agree, however, that opening a call in a split screen from the beginning would be a much better idea.

Feedback submitted. 🖐️

Last edited by a moderator:

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
Flip side being is it less dangerous to have a big button to see and press to answer\reject compared to a small one in the bottom corner that you may need to look a bit harder to see and press instead of looking at the road.

Reactions: Macalicious2011

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
The easy answer is that if you depend on a Maps display on your dashboard to operate your vehicle in a safe manner, you are doing it wrong. Maps is a convenience, not a safety measure. As the driver, you are still responsible for your vehicle's safe operation. If the Maps interface disappears momentarily, you simply drive safely, and once you have the Map back on the screen, you reroute if you missed a turn.

I get the annoyance and actual anxiety caused by this (I have experienced this myself and I agree Apple should not hijack the whole screen for incoming calls). But at the end of the day, YOU are in charge of your vehicle.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
The easy answer is that if you depend on a Maps display on your dashboard to operate your vehicle in a safe manner, you are doing it wrong. Maps is a convenience, not a safety measure. As the driver, you are still responsible for your vehicle's safe operation. If the Maps interface disappears momentarily, you simply drive safely, and once you have the Map back on the screen, you reroute if you missed a turn.

Exactly - if you're using Maps as a replacement for at least having some idea of where you are and where you should be going, you're doing it wrong. My car's display switches to a full screen camera mode anytime I'm making a right hand turn (or more accurately, when my right turn signal is on), removing all CarPlay content. Annoying? Yep. Unsafe? Not at all.

robgreene

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
I would not call it dangerous, for me it’s more of a nuisance. It takes me 1-2 seconds to get back to a split screen with a press of a button, so I can still see the map and a smaller call window nearby.

I agree, however, that opening a call in a split screen from the beginning would be a much better idea.

Feedback submitted. 🖐️
Thanks!

I called it dangerous because if I'm in a downtown area and a call comes in, I have to choose between finding my way back to maps while in traffic, driving without a map, or hanging up on the person. I've missed many a turn this way, and can see people trying to cut across traffic to compensate or missed turns.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: heretiq

robgreene

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
Flip side being is it less dangerous to have a big button to see and press to answer\reject compared to a small one in the bottom corner that you may need to look a bit harder to see and press instead of looking at the road.
I answer the call with the button my steering wheel. I don't really need the call to appear on my screen at all.

robgreene

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008

I get the annoyance and actual anxiety caused by this (I have experienced this myself and I agree Apple should not hijack the whole screen for incoming calls). But at the end of the day, YOU are in charge of your vehicle.
I don't disagree with your observation. What I'm NOT in charge of are other drivers' vehicles. And their version of Carplay operates the same as ours does. 😉

robgreene

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
Exactly - if you're using Maps as a replacement for at least having some idea of where you are and where you should be going, you're doing it wrong. My car's display switches to a full screen camera mode anytime I'm making a right hand turn (or more accurately, when my right turn signal is on), removing all CarPlay content. Annoying? Yep. Unsafe? Not at all.
Yeah I disabled that feature on my Honda, haha. And I don't have a problem missing a turn in the name of safety. But dense downtown areas can be traffic nightmares, and course correcting isn't always as simple as it should be. It's a logical update to the system that would make the experience safer for all.

robgreene

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
It's a nuisance, but I can accept/decline the call with my thumb from the steering wheel and continue on.
Declining is the only solution that solves the problem. Accepting leaves the the phone app in full screen, thus my suggestion for the split screen feature request. Navigation should be Carplay's top priority - even over phone calls - at all times.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
On my car, the centre display on the instrument cluster shows my next turn and the heads up display also shows it as I approach so I never really look at the main map display.

On previous cars before I had this functionality I’d just tell the caller I couldn’t talk right now and get them off the phone quickly so I got my map back!

Auto-split screen sounds like it could help but it would make the hit targets for accept and decline smaller which potentially makes it more distracting (assuming you don’t have a steering wheel button to answer / decline)

I guess there’s no one-size fits all solution so maybe Apple should make it an option people could select? (Although Apple doesn’t generally like over-complicating things with options!)

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013

My wife’s car does that. I HATE that!!!!

robgreene

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
Not proposing this layout necessarily, but for those questioning whether buttons could remain the same size, the answer is yes. There's SO MUCH unused space on the call screen that it fits with room to spare!
1690428534610.png

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I concur, OP. Now with “Announce Calls” and “Announce Notifications” there’s no reason for the screen to switch to the full call screen. At the very most, should be a pop up notification at the bottom of the screen like everything else in CarPlay or even nothing at all if you have “Announce Calls” on. This is akin to the complaints people had with the iPhone when the call screen took over the whole UI while they were in the middle of something. Of course as we know, Apple fixed that a couple iOS’ ago. They forgot to do that with CarPlay though.

This has been an annoyance for as long as I can remember. Even getting annoyed with the person calling sometimes lol.

iJest

Suspended
Jul 27, 2023
I find it massively convenient and way less distracting to have a giant screen with big buttons having only the apps I need in my car on the screen.

iJest

Suspended
Jul 27, 2023
I take it you only read the title of the thread.
Indeed! I point an accusing finger at those diminutive, flashy online social media videos for transforming my previously expansive attention span into something that would embarrass a fruit fly. It's as though they've brought about some sort of cerebral shrink ray, zapping and condensing my mental stamina until it's as brief and fleeting as a summer shower in the Sahara.

I have a case of "speak first, read later" syndrome. I actually agree with the situation OP was explaining. You know ... now that I read the post.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Indeed! I point an accusing finger at those diminutive, flashy online social media videos for transforming my previously expansive attention span into something that would embarrass a fruit fly. It's as though they've brought about some sort of cerebral shrink ray, zapping and condensing my mental stamina until it's as brief and fleeting as a summer shower in the Sahara.

I have a case of "speak first, read later" syndrome. I actually agree with the situation OP was explaining. You know ... now that I read the post.
Well, hey, I agree with your first post if we were directing our attention at only the thread title 😁

Reactions: heretiq and iJest

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
When calls come in or go out during navigation, why does Carplay not shift to a Split Screen of Navigation + Phone Call instead of Full Screen Call? It's so dangerous taking navigation away entirely like that, particularly when people are in congested areas where lots of turns may be necessary.

Hoping a few others will read this and do the same: https://www.apple.com/feedback/
I agree 100% @robgreene — Feedback submitted!

Last edited:

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
See I get more annoyed when I deliberately left the Maps app, and open another full screen another app (Music for example), and instantly the next gps direction notification shows, and it gets highlighted.

The amount of times I accidentally click that notification is frustrating.

TheKerremenke

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2020
Just wait for iOS 17. I believe it shows the caller id over the maps interface. So you can see that behind the caller interface. At least it does here on iOS 17 public beta 2 with messages and WhatsApp. Don’t call that often while driving to know for sure.

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016

Many people learned and drove without navigation and computers for a long time without issue.

It’s a stretch to call having no navigation dangerous

robgreene

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
Many people learned and drove without navigation and computers for a long time without issue.

It’s a stretch to call having no navigation dangerous
I believe you misunderstand me. We are in agreement that "having no navigation" is not dangerous in and of itself. But if you HAVE navigation, and that navigation is unexpectedly taken away at a pivotal moment in your drive because of a phone call, that creates exactly the sort of distracted driving that laws are in place to prevent, because it is in fact dangerous.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.