Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
With iOS 13.4 finally allowing 3rd party maps to be used in the Carplay Dashboard window it got me thinking I'm sure when Apple announced Carplay dashboard they said that the headunit would be able to feed data back to Carplay to update the now playing tab.

I was under the impression that if you were listening to another source for instance the radio the headunit would have been able to update the now playing tab with the relevant info such as station name etc.

So far I have not seen this implemented on either my Pioneer headunit nor the wifes Hyundai Kona factory unit, did I imagine Apple saying this or is this actually a feature that neither of my vehicles have been updated to support yet?

If it is a feature and someone has it working can you take a photo or screenshot so i can see what it looks like.

If this isnt a feature then maybe a wishlist for iOS14 as I think the now playing tab being blank when listening to the radio is a bit stupid and a waste of space.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I will not be available until iOS13.4 id officially released and then when Google and Waze issue updated apps to take advantage of it.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
The issue you may have here is that the updates need to be two fold, not only from Apples side to CarPlay but also potentially the car manufacturers need to do software updates for their systems to start using this feature.

Now we all know we can get our iPhones updated pretty easily to get the change but getting a car dealership to do a software update on a car for free and do it easily is a whole different world!! The car i'm in currently has built in Sat Nav and it shows the next directions on the small screen on the dash behind the steering wheel which is quite handy but only works for the built in Sat Nav, if i use navigation from CarPlay even using Apple Maps it cant display anything on this screen.

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
Annoyingly my Pioneer headunit has an update I need to do but the release notes don’t mention it, which is why I assumed I must have imagined the feature as normally Pioneer are on top of this kind of thing from what I’ve heard on the various forums.

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
Tonght I was using Amazon Alexa auto in Carplay 13.4. The now playing tab showed the source as AMAZON ALEXA.
Is Amazon Alexa an app on your phone though? I figured the now playing tab would update for apps on phone, what I am referring to is the headunit itself feeding back data to the now playing tab for instance when you are listening to the radio.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
Is Amazon Alexa an app on your phone though? I figured the now playing tab would update for apps on phone, what I am referring to is the headunit itself feeding back data to the now playing tab for instance when you are listening to the radio.
Yeh i get stuff in the Now Playing bit for things like radio streams that i'm playing via the phone as well as the normal music stuff.

As i mentioned above anything from an external source is probably going to need something on the car manufacturers side to be done as well as the iPhone to make it work.

tdar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2003
Johns Creek Ga.
Yes info from the headunit would take some code on their side. You might see that on a aftermarket unit, but those of us with a OEM one don't have much hope I expect.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
Yes info from the headunit would take some code on their side. You might see that on a aftermarket unit, but those of us with a OEM one don't have much hope I expect.
You may get lucky that a software update will do it but a slim chance that this will be free, probably have to pay for it.

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
So i want imagining it then, Apple did say that this was a feature during the iOS13 keynote and its the 3rd parties dragging their feet on this.

If I am being honest, I'm surprised my Pioneer hasn't had an update for that feature and I've never seen any screenshots or anyone talk about it so I thought I must have just imagined it lol.

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
isn't 13.4 a beta?
This was announced for iOS 13 back at last years WWDC in June I’m sure of it.

The 3rd party navigation apps on the dashboard is a 13.4 thing.

Saying that though since nobody seems to have seen it in the wild either I imagined it or it is something a later iOS version will get. That’s why I started this thread as I’m sure they did announce it but not 100% so.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
This was announced for iOS 13 back at last years WWDC in June I’m sure of it.

The 3rd party navigation apps on the dashboard is a 13.4 thing.

Saying that though since nobody seems to have seen it in the wild either I imagined it or it is something a later iOS version will get. That’s why I started this thread as I’m sure they did announce it but not 100% so.
If you mean third party nav apps on the CarPlay "dashboard", that has been around since shortly after 13.0/13.1 were released in September (when Google and Waze updated their apps to the iOS 13 API).

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
If you mean third party nav apps on the CarPlay "dashboard", that has been around since shortly after 13.0/13.1 were released in September (when Google and Waze updated their apps to the iOS 13 API).

3rd party map apps have been available on CarPlay since iOS12.

They won't be viewable in "dashboard" view though until 13.4 is officially released and the 3rd party apps are updated.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
3rd party map apps have been available on CarPlay since iOS12.

They won't be viewable in "dashboard" view though until 13.4 is officially released and the 3rd party apps are updated.

Ah, you are correct. Stuff is blurring together.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Ah, you are correct. Stuff is blurring together.

...and for some of the questions above, non-OEM head units should still always display current CarPlay as it is doing nothing more than mirroring off the phone. That doesn't mean the head unit may or shouldn't be updated to the latest firmware, but that's typically just to make CarPlay run smoother or solve any connection issues.

Once iOS/CarPlay/Maps is updated, it shows updated on every head unit screen.
[automerge]1582737291[/automerge]

Last edited:

tdar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2003
Johns Creek Ga.
My OEM headunit (2018 Cadillac XT5) allows me to use a built in source (like XM Satellite Radio) and have Carplay up full screen at the same time. In a perfect world, when doing so, we would like to see that the XM Data is shown in the media display panel on the Carplay Dashboard. I've not actually tested if this works. With todays Beta 3 release I need to test to see if they fixed the phone will not ring on Carplay bug, so I'll try this as well.

Reactions: MCKLMT

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
My OEM headunit (2018 Cadillac XT5) allows me to use a built in source (like XM Satellite Radio) and have Carplay up full screen at the same time. In a perfect world, when doing so, we would like to see that the XM Data is shown in the media display panel on the Carplay Dashboard. I've not actually tested if this works. With todays Beta 3 release I need to test to see if they fixed the phone will not ring on Carplay bug, so I'll try this as well.

I think everyone needs to remember though that any displpay changes in the car will only happen on the main CarPlay screen. My biggest pet peeve is that I would like my VW to display CarPlay info on my digital dash. CarPlay has allowed this with the latest release, but it is up to VW (or whomever) to allow that capability.

tdar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2003
Johns Creek Ga.
As I noted yesterday , I was testing to see if the carplay calls do not ring bug was fixed in the new beta (it's not) and so I tried playing the OEM radio and checking to see if the carplay dashboard had the data from the radio. It does not.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
Whats this not ringing bug? Not sure i've come across this or had any issues with calls over CarPlay other than where i have poor signal and the call drops in and out like it would in any situation trying to make a call with dodgy signal.

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
I have had a bug since 13.2 that Do Not Disturb whilst driving still activates when connected to Carplay, I ended up making an automation to disable it again.

When the stereo is powered on the bluetooth connects first which activates DND then Carplay connects and prior to 13.2 this would disable DND but after 13.2 it doesnt anymore. Tested in 2 cars with different headunits and its the same result.

Thing is I dont want to disable auto DND as I use it in my works van which doesnt have Carplay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.