Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Butler Trumpet

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 26, 2004
Dekalb IL
I've got a gripe with how the Dock functions in CarPlay. I wish it would stay the same and stop changing based on the apps I've interacted with.

This is the way it works: The top icon is for navigation, the middle is for audio and the bottom is for communication (but also Settings shows up here)

IMG_8950.PNG

The problem I have with this, is that these icons change based on what you had open last. So if I answer a phone call, the bottom changes to the phone. See here:

IMG_8973.PNG

The issue with this, is that it's very easy to miss a message / text when the phone app is in the bottom position. You only need to open the phone app to make a call, not receive a call, and I think people generally call much less often than they text

So my gripe here, is that I wish you could just set the apps in the dock as you want and they'd stay. It's much easier to answer a call when it pops up than it is to have to click around to get messages to appear up at the bottom again.

@Dan Barbera can you talk about this on the podcast?!

Reactions: gwhizkids

kvozel

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2023
There was a workaround for this that someone published earlier. It involved using shortcuts automation on your phone to automatically open the three apps you want when the phone connects to Carplay. I could never get it to work properly, but that was back in the early 16.0 days. Maybe it is fixed now.

I'll try to find the thread.

Reactions: Butler Trumpet
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.