Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ethanwa79

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
If you do, I have some questions:

1. Can you do things in the Pioneer side of things, like play a DVD or play a video file from a USB drive to a rear screen, while also using the CarPlay features?

2. Any downsides of CarPlay that you've noticed so far?

antwon412

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2010
I have a Pioneer unit in my Challenger. When I tried to hook up my 5s it said the unit could only handle a 4s. I. Red to see if there is a firmware update and try the 6plus when I get me car back from the shop.

Theblahfish

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2014
Sure do. Works great.

When using the other features of the head unit, simply saying 'hey siri' will go into CarPlay mode.

rsday75

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
Yup. Have it on a NEX 4000.
All Pioneer things still work fine while in CarPlay.
My main gripe is that you can't do a Bluetooth connection (other than for phone) with a USB connection for CarPlay.
Another words, on the head unit, you have tho choose USB of Bluetooth. You can switch back and forth, but it isn;t just Bluetooth when not plugged in and CarPlay/USB when plugged. You have to go through 3-4 clicks to make the choice on the headunit. I know, first world problem and such, but I would like Bluetooth to be available for short trips, and it then know to use USB when plugged in for a longer trip. Sigh.

sofakng

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2008
I have the flagship AVIC-8000NEX and I'm not too impressed (so far) with CarPlay.

The car stereo could already play songs from the iPhone and podcasts, etc, and it has built-in navigation. CarPlay uses a different interface (a bit nicer, but not much) for playing music but doesn't seem to add any features.

Maps looks nice and if you don't have built-in navigation then I could see this being useful.

Other than that, it seems very limited (by design). You can't even view the text of messages; instead you can only have Siri read them outloud, etc.

deviant

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2007
Other than that, it seems very limited (by design). You can't even view the text of messages; instead you can only have Siri read them outloud, etc.

I think it's intended that way. You know.. reading and driving doesn't mix up well togheter.

ethanwa79

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
You can't even view the text of messages; instead you can only have Siri read them outloud, etc.

Isn't that the point of all of this? You aren't supposed to read your text messages while driving. At all. In fact, it's against the law in many places in the USA (yet people still do it).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.