Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nrvna76

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
just bought a 2006 F150. I have no problem with the age of it except for the radio and backup camera. Plan to add both. Seems like CarPlay is the way to go. Would springing for the Apline ilx-107 with wireless CarPlay worth the extra cost? It’s about $300 more than a few other reasonable options. Any opinions/reviews welcome.

MacWorks916

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2015
I have the iLX-107 and love it. So nice to just hop into my truck and go. Wireless CarPlay is the direction manufacturers will go in the future.

nrvna76

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
I have the iLX-107 and love it. So nice to just hop into my truck and go. Wireless CarPlay is the direction manufacturers will go in the future.

How does it handle multiple iPhones? Do you have a usb input in case you need it or have you never needed it?

RWil85

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010

Want to do the same in my Honda Pilot. Sucks so badly that I lose the stock sub when doing so, though.

Getting it back makes the job cost prohibitive as I then need an amp and new sub, apparently.

MikeC122

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2017
California
just bought a 2006 F150. I have no problem with the age of it except for the radio and backup camera. Plan to add both. Seems like CarPlay is the way to go. Would springing for the Apline ilx-107 with wireless CarPlay worth the extra cost? It’s about $300 more than a few other reasonable options. Any opinions/reviews welcome.

I bought this setup for my 2006 F150 and installed it myself. I no longer have the truck but CarPlay worked great and it sounded really good. I even had the factory premium sound w/sub in my truck. There were a few wiring kits I needed as well. Figured everything out on Crutchfield and then ordered on Amazon.

41gioWMO8tL.jpg
61BBK3RTMLL._SX522_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O8B7CFS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GSFIJS6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

nrvna76

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
I bought this setup for my 2006 F150 and installed it myself. I no longer have the truck but CarPlay worked great and it sounded really good. I even had the factory premium sound w/sub in my truck. There were a few wiring kits I needed as well. Figured everything out on Crutchfield and then ordered on Amazon.

41gioWMO8tL.jpg
61BBK3RTMLL._SX522_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O8B7CFS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GSFIJS6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Glad to hear you liked it. I honestly don’t even know if this has the premium sound and sub. Can’t find the window sticker of an 11 year old truck. Haha

Where did you run the usb cable? I’m contemplating shelling out for the wireless CarPlay so I don’t have to bother with that part, also wouldn’t have to plug in for short trips.

Where did you access the reverse power? I’ve seen people access from the taillight and one video where somebody accessed it above the fuse box on the passenger side.

Thanks for anything you might remember about your install!

MikeC122

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2017
California
Glad to hear you liked it. I honestly don’t even know if this has the premium sound and sub. Can’t find the window sticker of an 11 year old truck. Haha

Where did you run the usb cable? I’m contemplating shelling out for the wireless CarPlay so I don’t have to bother with that part, also wouldn’t have to plug in for short trips.

Where did you access the reverse power? I’ve seen people access from the taillight and one video where somebody accessed it above the fuse box on the passenger side.

Thanks for anything you might remember about your install!

If it's premium sound, the sub box will be under the rear seat. It's a black molded plastic box.

I ran the USB through the dash and out near the glove box. It just came through a gap in the panels. I can't remember but I think that unit had Bluetooth CarPlay...not positive though.

I tapped into reverse for the camera signal wire through the driver side door sill plate. I found the wire color on an F150 Forum. I believe I tapped into the reverse lights wire to power the rear camera. And the camera was just screwed into the bottom of my tow receiver bar.

The wiring harnesses will allow you to use your steering wheel controls and program them to whatever you want. Again, I figured those kits out on the Crutchfield site.

Hope that helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.