Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

warrenal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2008
I just bought my 2nd vehicle with CarPlay and it is drastically different than my first! My new Jeep seems to have some sort of overlay where it limits the Music selections when you are driving. When in motion, you cannot pick any artist, album, or track. It shows a limited menu and forces you to remember all of your music and use Siri. Has anyone seen this before? It's not how it is on my VW. Any way to fix this or trick the car into thinking you aren't driving?

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
If you are moving you are limited on Playlist/artist/song selection. If sitting still (in Park) you can choose anything. Was your VW a manual? Maybe VW cheated on this too.:eek::D

warrenal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2008
If you are moving you are limited on Playlist/artist/song selection. If sitting still (in Park) you can choose anything. Was your VW a manual? Maybe VW cheated on this too.:eek::D

Are you serious? So the standard CarPlay now limits music app when driving and my VW must be running an outdated version? That's horrible. What a mistake by Apple. No way to trick the system into thinking you aren't driving?

Does anyone else have any real life examples to share? I can't believe Apple would have made this horrible update...

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Are you serious? So the standard CarPlay now limits music app when driving and my VW must be running an outdated version? That's horrible. What a mistake by Apple. No way to trick the system into thinking you aren't driving?

Does anyone else have any real life examples to share? I can't believe Apple would have made this horrible update...
I believe it has always been this way and it is a reasonable safety issue (wither you or I like it). When driving you are not allowed to scroll through your entire collection when you should be 'eyes on the road'. Siri is supposed to be used.

• Angry
Reactions: lpc2

warrenal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2008
I believe it has always been this way and it is a reasonable safety issue (wither you or I like it). When driving you are not allowed to scroll through your entire collection when you should be 'eyes on the road'. Siri is supposed to be used.

I've driven several cars that do not operate like that. Maybe it's a new software push that some legacy vehicle installations aren't set-up to handle (ie, the sensor that tells CarPlay the car is in motion). I just don't think it's any less safe than your ability to constantly mess with Maps or Podcast app or message app and they don't restrict that. Also, most of the time it's the passenger that wants to change it.

Taek

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2010
I have a 2018 Mercedes and can browse any song, album, artist, playlists, whatever. Zero limitations, no different than my iPhone. While driving.

The limitations must be additional protection implemented by your car brand.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
My car is having warranty work done (seat heaters very weak) so thought i would try in the loaner and get the same results. Here is what i get and restricted to scrolling Recently Played Playlists (same with Songs and Artists). I don't see how this could be 3ed party implemented. it looks like only Apple could do this.

IMG_3994.jpg

In Park

IMG_3993.jpg

In Drive - Recently Played scrolling only

Last edited:

Taek

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2010
In your post above, one situation is Wi-Fi, the other is Cellular data. Are you sure that's not causing the difference in behavior?

App behavior can definitely change if it's on cellular vs WiFi.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
In your post above, one situation is Wi-Fi, the other is Cellular data. Are you sure that's not causing the difference in behavior?

App behavior can definitely change if it's on cellular vs WiFi.
Forget the WiFi. I just happened to be in my garage when I took the pic and that is the NON restrected scrolling anyway. Behavior is the same on the road or anywhere.

Also the point is others (including you) say there are no restrictions when driving (which is not on WiF and therefor NA). However it is restricted to Recently Played on the cars I have seen.

warrenal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2008
This is clearly a manufacturer overlay that prohibits functionality when in motion. I wonder if there’s a way to trick sensor that you aren’t driving.

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009
My 2017 Ford F-150 does this. Pretty pathetic and I end up just picking up phone most of time and selecting stuff. I also find Siri bad for reading back text messages (it’s too fast) and also it thinks I’m finished while dictating a message if I dare pause for split second while talking. All of these limitations actually make the experience more frustration and distracting messing around with it.

Having said all the above, I think Ford Sync 3 is far superior to CarPlay and prefer using it most of time.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
I have a 2018 Mercedes and can browse any song, album, artist, playlists, whatever. Zero limitations, no different than my iPhone. While driving.

The limitations must be additional protection implemented by your car brand.
Yep, I second that. My new Mercedes SL allows complete control over the music library when I am driving so any limitations must be manufacturer based

Reactions: lpc2
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.