Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chio987

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2020
i would actually love to hear any kind of update on this issue as i also have the AVH-W4500NEX. i'm on IOS 14.2 and usually always keep my carplay in "always dark" but the apple maps never goes into dark mode. i tried changing it to Auto but then carplay never goes into dark mode on the home screen or maps. google maps seems to go into dark mode but i haven't tried it in the day time. dimming the instrument panel and headlights on/off do not change anything. the radio receives the 12 volts for the dimmer circuit when i turn the headlights on as it dims the radio screen brightness, so i know that's good. i also have a vehicle with a AVH-3300NEX and i know that use to go dark on the maps i just haven't tried it in a while.

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
I'm not sure what it does with an alternative head unit, but I have OEM Carplay and night mode comes on whenever the car headlights are on, regardless of time of the day.

I fitted my head unit in to an older car and that’s how mine works. Can be annoying when you just want sidelights on during a winter day and it auto goes to night mode.

Derek87

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2009
still not working on 14.2 here, and this is now on an iPhone 11 Pro...so its not a iPhone XS issue. its interesting... i had forgotten about it because i rarely drove for several months in darkness during pandemic, but as the days get shorter, i've encountered this bug again. very annoying.

chio987

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2020
still not working on 14.2 here, and this is now on an iPhone 11 Pro...so its not a iPhone XS issue. its interesting... i had forgotten about it because i rarely drove for several months in darkness during pandemic, but as the days get shorter, i've encountered this bug again. very annoying.
that's why i noticed as well, it's dark by 5.

So i did a little test today, i have an old 6s (movin to 12pro very soon) along with a fresh install iphone 7 both on 14.2. Around noon i tried both phones on my W4500NEX and 3300NEX and they worked as i would expect. in auto they were in light mode in both the home screen and maps (apple and google) headlights and dimmer didn't change anything. manually putting it into dark mode the home screen went dark but maps stayed light.

The second test was around 6:30PM after the weather app showed sunset. With the settings on auto my 6s still had the same issue of staying light on the home screen and maps on both radios however the iphone 7 displayed everything like it should, the home screen and maps were in dark mode, to double check i grabbed my wife's iphone 7 that is not a fresh install also on 14.2 and it also worked as it should. the only thing i can conclude is i have a bad update on my 6s.

Derek87

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2009
that's why i noticed as well, it's dark by 5.

So i did a little test today, i have an old 6s (movin to 12pro very soon) along with a fresh install iphone 7 both on 14.2. Around noon i tried both phones on my W4500NEX and 3300NEX and they worked as i would expect. in auto they were in light mode in both the home screen and maps (apple and google) headlights and dimmer didn't change anything. manually putting it into dark mode the home screen went dark but maps stayed light.

The second test was around 6:30PM after the weather app showed sunset. With the settings on auto my 6s still had the same issue of staying light on the home screen and maps on both radios however the iphone 7 displayed everything like it should, the home screen and maps were in dark mode, to double check i grabbed my wife's iphone 7 that is not a fresh install also on 14.2 and it also worked as it should. the only thing i can conclude is i have a bad update on my 6s.
it's hard to understand what works and doesn't. i had an iPhone XS that did not work with ios13. my iPhone 11 pro which started with 13 and then upgraded all the way to 14.2 also is hit or miss in terms of it working. as noted las year, if i force quit the maps app on my phone prior to entering the car, that basically makes it work, but that's not something i want to make a habit. google maps has always properly gone to dark maps at sunset (or thereabouts) for me me. it's apple maps that has been the issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.