Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macaddict16

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2002
Has anyone found a way to turn off the Apple Watch notifications for turning only while connected to CarPlay? I want the notifications when I am walking and using directions, but while I am driving I would rather not have Maps open on my watch and getting tapped for every turn.

Thanks!
Macaddict16

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Not that I've discovered, but the only extra power used by the watch are for the taps themselves - it's not really running the maps app on the watch.

PeteLP

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2008
I find the taps very helpful for in-car navigation, since I can feel the taps and remember to get over for a turn (at a comfortable time) even if I'm deep in conversation.

But, like you, I'd like more control on how and when the map app appears on my watch at differing times.

For myself, when I'm in the car and listening to an audio book I need the now playing app visible on my watch at all times. It gives me much better control over skipping back in the audio book than my car's steering wheel and console controls. I'd personally like a setting option that offers haptic taps for upcoming turns on my watch, without the maps DISPLAY on my watch, so that I always have access to the watches now-playing app. Maps replaces now-playing whenever it shows me a turn, and stays there.

I'd like both of our requests satisfied.

Last edited:

Macaddict16

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2002
I don't mind the taps most of the time, but if I am going on a long trip I would rather not get tapped all of the time. Control over the taps would be ideal. I have found that if you close out of maps on your watch it sometimes will keep the haptic feedback while Maps is no longer on the display.

PeteLP

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2008
I don't mind the taps most of the time, but if I am going on a long trip I would rather not get tapped all of the time. Control over the taps would be ideal. I have found that if you close out of maps on your watch it sometimes will keep the haptic feedback while Maps is no longer on the display.

I believe the last time I tried that it didn't work that way. But that was with IOS 9. I've since turned off the taps and maps on my watch, by changing the settings, since I've been listening to audio books all the time and have needed the quick access to the "now playing" app on my watch.

I might try it and see how it goes. What bothers me is the word SOMETIMES in your sentence. Is it possible that, in IOS-10, closing out of maps has consistently kept maps off the watch until you've gotten to your current destination ? It would be great if it consistently did what you just described. I'd love it.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.