Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andeify

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2012
UK
It would be good if CarPlay was able to detect if you’re moving. That way, when I’m waiting in my car with the kids I could put YouTube on or Netflix etc. Unless there’s an app for that?

ratspg

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
It would be good if CarPlay was able to detect if you’re moving. That way, when I’m waiting in my car with the kids I could put YouTube on or Netflix etc. Unless there’s an app for that?
It does detect that. For example I can't even type anything for Map Search on CarPlay, only Siri while moving. When stopped or almost stopped, keyboard access returns.
Pretty sure, movies/etc. won't be allowed because most places I'd think have that banned while moving, and I'm sure people would find a way to abuse it if it's available in CarPlay. jailbreaks, etc.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Do you mean on your phone? What’s preventing you from opening any app and using it while in the car, driving or stationary? The only thing I can think of is a driving focus mode but that can be disabled. Or maybe I’m not understanding clearly…

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ

I truly don't understand this... what could be so all-fired important that you have to watch a video while driving... or even while sitting at a stoplight for 3 minutes at a time... but yeah, I'm old... and get off my lawn.

andeify

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2012
UK
Maybe I wasn’t clear. As we all know it’s not a good idea to allow people to watch something while driving, but if CarPlay knew we weren’t then I could utilise the big screen to entertain the children without carrying around any extra gadgets.

So I’m stopped somewhere, maybe waiting for food, not moving, stationary.

If CarPlay could use the tech in our phone along with the gps data to see that we are not moving, it could let us watch something. You could even play games.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.