Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matttarantino

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2021
Does it drive anyone else crazy that whenever you make an outgoing call from CarPlay, it takes you to the call screen? It's super frustrating when you are trying to follow directions in an area that you don't know particularly well, only to make an outgoing call and have to switch back to navigation right afterwards. In the last iOS 15 beta, this changed and it kept you on your current screen while making the call, but it looks like this was a bug as the latest beta returns the original functionality.

Last edited:
Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Does it drive anyone else crazy that whenever you make an outgoing call from CarPlay, it takes you to the call screen? It's super frustrating when you are trying to follow directions in an area that you don't know particularly well, only to make an outgoing call and have to switch back to navigation right afterwards. In the last iOS 15 beta, this changed and it keep you on your current screen while making the call, but it looks like this was a bug as the latest beta returns the original functionality.
Yes! ? can’t stand this nor understand the reasoning behind it. You know who called when you answered the phone. Don’t need the call screen after that and it should absolutely revert back to the navigation screen once the call is picked up. Sometimes I answer the phone with the button on my steering wheel and don’t realize my navigation screen is not there anymore and end up missing a turn.

matttarantino

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2021
I was more referring to outgoing calls (especially when using Siri to make them), but incoming is also just as frustrating!

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Not paying 100% to driving.
Studies were done on multitasking. The human brain can effectively process 7 tasks at once before it gets overwhelmed. Navigation is a portion of driving. Nothing illegal or wrong with taking a call hands free, which is why this thread was started by the OP. The screen should go back to navigation on its own without user input.

I’m sorry if you get tunnel vision on the road while you’re driving, which I’d argue is pretty dangerous, but I don’t. My brain is capable of multitasking and these aren’t any even tasks that require full attention. Driving while intoxicated is a different story. That affects your divided attention. Yes I have extensive experience and training in all these fields.

We’re discussing CarPlay features which I’m sure have been through NHTSA and/or DOT testing and was deemed safe for driving.

That said, I hope I don’t drive or even walk in your area with your eyes glued to the road in front of you and nothing else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.