Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
What is the purpose of CarPlay? Is it to continue your use while driving or is it to allow distraction free driving.

I have it installed on an aftermarket extra display on one car (model 3) and built in CarPlay in my jeep and I get reminder notifications while driving, and message red bubbles on the side. Is there no way to stop this and disable them because I find it distracting.

My main use is music podcast and Google maps. No distraction. Is it so hard Apple?

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
I think it's to give you enough of the functionality of your phone in a place that's convenient enough that you're not tempted to try to use your phone itself. The bigger display and restricted functionality should make it less of a distraction than trying to one hand a phone in your lap so the cops don't see.

You can't read the messages if you try, but Siri will dictate them. I'm pretty sure there is a setting in the phone itself that will disable messages while driving, with or without CarPlay.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I think it's to give you enough of the functionality of your phone in a place that's convenient enough that you're not tempted to try to use your phone itself. The bigger display and restricted functionality should make it less of a distraction than trying to one hand a phone in your lap so the cops don't see.

You can't read the messages if you try, but Siri will dictate them. I'm pretty sure there is a setting in the phone itself that will disable messages while driving, with or without CarPlay.

You can take/make calls via the speaker phone and send/receive text with Siri's help... but a driving focus will alert the other party that you are driving and will respond later.

Just set a focus mode for driving and Bob's your uncle. You can still listen to music/podcasts and use your favorite mapping app (Apple, Google, Waze, etc) and not be interrupted or distracted by incoming calls and texts.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
You can take/make calls via the speaker phone and send/receive text with Siri's help... but a driving focus will alert the other party that you are driving and will respond later.

Just set a focus mode for driving and Bob's your uncle. You can still listen to music/podcasts and use your favorite mapping app (Apple, Google, Waze, etc) and not be interrupted or distracted by incoming calls and texts.
Is there a way to disable the red bubble that appears on the message icon on the left dock?

As well as reminders alert appearing on my CarPlay display. I’d hate to crash reading a start laundry reminder pop up.

sugilbert

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2016
South Bend, IN
Is there a way to disable the red bubble that appears on the message icon on the left dock?

As well as reminders alert appearing on my CarPlay display. I’d hate to crash reading a start laundry reminder pop up.
Yes....click on it, listen to the message, then reply or go back to previous screen!

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ

If I am not mistaken, using a driving focus turns off the popup messages, and not sure about the red bubble... just a bit of self control would go a long way here... ADHD and driving don't really mix well.

erihp

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2020
This is a silly topic. I would think that after 10 years it's pretty obvious what Carplay is for. Don't like certain features? Don't use them
seriously, especially from someone in a Tesla. how many screens do you need? if you dont like carplay, take out your addon screen and use whatever Tesla offers.

Reactions: Itinj24

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
CarPlay is for people who want to be able to use certain functions from their phone while driving. If you can't stand even having a badge showing, re-arrange your apps so Messages or whatever is on the 2nd panel hidden from view. And as mentioned above, fiddling with your Driving focus might help (I don't mind them coming through so I've never tried personally.)

Reactions: Itinj24
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.