Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baw441

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2017
Hey All

I have recently had my 2016 Hyundai upgraded so that it now has Apple Carplay.

One problem I have is that when I connect my iPhone to the USB - my Bluetooth disconnects.
CarPlay will start and everything is great...

Until, I receive/make a phone call - the sound comes through my car speakers, as its connected via USB - but no Bluetooth - and so people can barely hear me as my Bluetooth microphone in the car doesn't work, and im effectively speaking through the handset, which isnt near my mouth?

Why does it do this, am i missing something??

MacintoshDan

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2013
This is how CarPlay works, it does not maintain the bluetooth connection when CarPlay starts, as all it uses is the wired connection (Unless you car has wireless CarPlay, which is a totally different animal). Your microphone in the car should still work for CarPlay, sounds like an issue with the car. When you get a call check your phone screen and make sure everything is selected to go through the car.

baw441

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2017
Normally during a Bluetooth call - the speaker icon changes, and I can select Headset or Bluetooth
But when connected to car play - all I get is the speaker icon?

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
As MacintoshDan stated once you connect your iPhone to CarPlay the BT connection is terminated, so BT is totally irrelevant. Now your iPhone is hardwired to your car's system (forget BT). During a phone call your car's system should direct the incoming audio from the iPhone to the car's speaker system and should use the car's microphone (usually the same one as used in a BT connection) and send over the wired connection to the iPhone. it sounds like your car system its not working correctly.

harlenmm77

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2016
I have a 2017 Santa Fe Sport and it works flawlessly. Something is wrong with your car.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I have a 2016 Malibu and I can choose to take a call through bluetooth or the car radio.

There's probably nothing wrong with your car, just the way the stereo is programmed. Unfortunately, unless there is a user setting you can change, you're stuck. Check with the dealer as maybe the head unit is bad.

hface119

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
Did you opt to have steering wheel controls included with the installation? Sometimes that is bundled with other factory things on the car, it’s possible that’s connected to the mic in some way.

My aftermarket receiver came with its own microphone, clipped to the steering wheel column. I also have factory still working in the rear view mirror, plus steering wheel controls so the two talk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.