Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I’ve got a Pioneer NEX car stereo and an iPhone 13. CarPlay has worked great for 2+ years. Suddenly a couple days ago CarPlay doesn’t work at all. I’ve reset the Stereo, deleted the Stereo from the CarPlay settings on my phone. I’ve tried a different USB cable.

When I go to the menu on the stereo the CarPlay icon is greyed out and a message about the WebLink Host Application pops up which I think is just the standard USB connection not CarPlay.

The phone is connected because music will play I just don’t get the CarPlay features. After I reset the receiver the “Allow CarPlay” message came up on the phone and it added the Pioneer Stereo back to the CarPlay menu under Settings. But still no CarPlay on the stereo. Any thoughts on a fix for this? I don’t have another phone to try. I’m hoping to find someone to let me try there phone soon.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
So I broke down and replaced the stereo with a new one, same model. But I have the same issue so apparently it’s not the stereo

Called Pioneer and went through all the same steps I already tried. Numerous times he stated that Apple often had issues with 3rd, non car manufacturer stereos. Nothing worked

Called Apple and basically he did about 40 minutes of research to come back and say because it’s a Pioneer Stereo it’s not Apples problem

Last edited:

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Thanks

I was going to update this post today

So, after all the troubleshooting I did yesterday, trying a new radio, trying a different phone, disconnecting, remove power, resetting, etc I go to leave last night and it just randomly started working again. The only thing different I can think of that I may have done was started the car with the parking brake on, which I can’t imagine made a difference because later it worked anyway even without the parking brake.

At this point, I have no idea what it was. I just hope it keeps working

koolzero

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
Glad yours is working. I hope apple and or pioneer fixes this. In my thread someone with a 4500 is having the a similar issue that I’m having. It’s fine to use it with a cable but the reason I bought this one was for wireless.

Reactions: jjk454ss

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Thanks

I was going to update this post today

So, after all the troubleshooting I did yesterday, trying a new radio, trying a different phone, disconnecting, remove power, resetting, etc I go to leave last night and it just randomly started working again. The only thing different I can think of that I may have done was started the car with the parking brake on, which I can’t imagine made a difference because later it worked anyway even without the parking brake.

At this point, I have no idea what it was. I just hope it keeps working

In a previous vehicle, I had an Alpine ILX-107 (wireless CarPlay head unit) installed... and I remember the installer saying that to use or enable some functions, the parking brake had to be engaged... there's a wire that was connected to the parking brake sensor that allowed/prevented some functions from working... wonder if there is really something to it. Did you install the unit yourself or did you have it installed? This issue might be a question for the installer. There also might be something in the manual...

Reactions: jjk454ss

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Well mine stopped working again

The parking brake does need to be on to access certain settings in the menu. But I don’t think that’s the issue since it been working fine for 2 years. Definitely strange though, so who knows

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I’ve insisted the latest iOS 16.1 beta. It “seems” to have fixed the issue. So far no problems since installing it anyway🤞

epickett

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2023
I have an iPhone 13 that was working fine(using USB cable), but decided to stop working a week or so ago for some reason. Bluetooth still works, but not CarPlay. I tried 'forgetting' the radio on the phone, and even reset the networking. No good. Connecting the USB still charges the phone. Today I finally tried my wife's phone(iPhone 8) and it still didn't work. So it's probably something in the radio, but what?? I haven't done any updates on either the radio or phones. Thanks.

epickett

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2023
Have you tried new cable?
Ding, ding - we have a winner! I actually tried one right before I saw your reply, because I didn't have anything to lose. It came right up. So, how could the cable fail connection, but still work for charging the device? Thanks for your reply!

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
I have wireless CarPlay with iPhone 13 Promax and Pioneer (mine is European model 9200DAB). Works for 2 years fine enough. I might upgrade to larger 9 inch Pioneer though (with wireless CarPlay as well, 750 dollars).

daviddarwin

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2023
Check if there's a firmware update available for your Pioneer NEX car stereo. Sometimes, updates can address compatibility issues with newer phones or operating system versions.

SacMike

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2024
I found a solution that finally worked for me after trying everything else that was suggested. I am using a pioneer AVH – 2300 NEX deck. Tap the middle hardware button with the four squares. That will bring up the generic deck home screen. In the bottom, left-hand corner will be a smart phone icon Tap that and that will bring up two little icons one is app radio and there’s another one. If you tap the little window that those are inside of that will show you two tabs, the app radio tab and lo and behold, the Apple CarPlay tab. Hit that CarPlay tab and now a new icon appears over that smart phone icon, which is the Apple CarPlay icon. Tap at icon and Apple CarPlay works all of the sudden.

I swapped iPhone cables and power down the battery, and tried updates, both on the deck and the phone, and it was only messing with the deck itself that I was able to discover this. I hope this is the mystery solution that everybody else is looking for and if it’s not, I apologize, because I know how baffling this can be!

Attachments

• IMG_9845.jpeg
    IMG_9845.jpeg
    383.8 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_9843.jpeg
    IMG_9843.jpeg
    329.4 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_9844.jpeg
    IMG_9844.jpeg
    343.6 KB · Views: 117
Reactions: StoneJack
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.