Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajayjp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2016
I want to share my ETA with someone with Carplay. The problem is that Carplay only shows about 6 randomly selected contacts and does not give the option to search from the contacts.

From the iPhone there's a way to select someone from my Contacts but there's no way to do this with Carplay.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I want to share my ETA with someone with Carplay. The problem is that Carplay only shows about 6 randomly selected contacts and does not give the option to search from the contacts.

From the iPhone there's a way to select someone from my Contacts but there's no way to do this with Carplay.
I haven’t dug too deep into this but it appears that random list is the last few people you texted with. I guess for safety Apple doesn’t want you staring at the screen too long and assume that you’d be sharing your ETA with someone you spoke to recently. Have you tried using Siri to share the ETA or going into the contacts within CarPlay?

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom

I noticed this as well, but in my usage its not even accurately showing me some people I recently texted etc.
Following this thread

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Ok, I tried all the above suggestions I posted and none of them work lol. No option in the full contacts list and Siri is stubborn as well. I am, however, getting my most recent text message contacts in the list though. Apple is probably assuming you’d be sharing ETA with someone you recently communicated with. I suppose a good work around would be to send that contact a quick text message if you haven’t recently.

ajayjp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2016
I am not sure if it’s intended or a bug. If you use Apple map on phone, the share ETA gives an option to select from contacts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.