Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmeisenzahl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2005
2018 Subaru Crosstrek with CarPlay. It requires that the phone be connected via USB/Lightning cable. The overwhelming majority of the time simply connecting the phone will make CarPlay available. But once in a while it doesn't. In that case I disconnect and reconnect the iPhone's (iPhone X, previously 7+) Lightning cable and it works.

But once in a while it doesn't. Today I restarted the car, and unplugged/reconnected the phone, and CarPlay never became available.

Using iOS 11.1.1. Any ideas as to what's happening here?

Thanks in advance!

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I have found on my VW - I have to wait a minute or so after the car "radio" starts to reliably get car play to work. Fortunately, for me, I have a stop sign down the street so I wait until there to plug in car play

Reactions: cmeisenzahl

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
My CarPlay just died today....2016 VW GTI.

It's functionality gradually depleted after many a plugging in of the cable; first I got audio, but no screen (only a 'App Connect is connecting message), then I got nothing but a message on screen saying I need to request App Connect permission from a dealership...

Also, VW Navigation decided I didn't have a compatible version & also refused to work.

& then my phone couldn't even be detected.

So on a day where I needed some form of navigation, none of my options worked.

Had to insert the Airpods & listen to Google Maps turn by turn....which is still better than Apple Maps on CarPlay anyway...

So being a Sunday, I'll need to wait until tomorrow to book the car into VW for what'll most likely be a traumatic experience....

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
For my Honda, I should be getting a software update for the head unit soon. It's supposed to address a bunch of issues, including CarPlay connection problems. I'll try to remember to post the results later.

Works4Me

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2007
Canada
For my Honda, I should be getting a software update for the head unit soon. It's supposed to address a bunch of issues, including CarPlay connection problems. I'll try to remember to post the results later.
Man I hope there’s some kind of update for my 2016 Civic Touring. Connecting has become very inconsistent. In fact, it’s gotten to the point where I almost don’t care if my next vehicle has CarPlay...

nyscott1

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2018
2018 Subaru Crosstrek with CarPlay. It requires that the phone be connected via USB/Lightning cable. The overwhelming majority of the time simply connecting the phone will make CarPlay available. But once in a while it doesn't. In that case I disconnect and reconnect the iPhone's (iPhone X, previously 7+) Lightning cable and it works.

But once in a while it doesn't. Today I restarted the car, and unplugged/reconnected the phone, and CarPlay never became available.

Using iOS 11.1.1. Any ideas as to what's happening here?

Thanks in advance!
[doublepost=1534127197][/doublepost]I have the same intermittent problems on a Ford Mustang 2917 and a 2018 Cadillacxt5

Reactions: cmeisenzahl

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I also find that I can't plug it in right away in my 2017 VW. I have to make sure the radio unit is running for a minute or so before I can plug it in - so it is start the car and wait until I get to the stop down the street from me before I can plug in

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
My 3rd party head unit has to boot, then takes a few more seconds to connect. 1 in 1000 it doesn't and I have to unplug and plug again. Just a couple of times I recently got a message where the phone (IP7), needed to be unlocked to access the USB accessory...that went away after a couple of those. Spotify fails much more often, 25% needing the app on the phone restarted before it will run under CarPlay.

cmeisenzahl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2005
The problem is MUCH improved since I switched from an Anker cable to a white Apple cable. Not completely fixed, but probably 80% better.

Reactions: simonsi

FlyPacNW

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2019
I am having similar issues with 2017 GMC Sierra. Anyone happen to know if there has been a software update to the head unit from GM to mitigate this? I am also in A LOT of rental cars, many with Apple Carplay and have found this issue to be consistent throughout many auto manufacturers which is in an indication that the problem probably lies with Apple (your $800 phone) instead of within your $30-$50,000 car.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.