Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dapcook

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2018
I just got a new 2019 Ford Escape with CarPlay, I have the iPhone XS Max. Some mornings I turn on the car, plug the phone in and CarPlay won't start.. unplugging and replugging doesn't work. About the only thing I can do is turn car off, open door so the radio will fully shut down and reload.

Anyone else see this behavior?

Thanks

Reactions: Craiguyver

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Welcome to the unpredictable world of CarPlay!

No, this is not unusual behavior. Try having the phone unlocked and on the home screen, that seems to help me.

I have a used CarPlay since 2015, and believe it or not, but it used to be much, much more buggy. It has gotten better, but I am not sure why Apple can't figure out these bugs....

tills24

macrumors regular
May 10, 2010
My CarPlay doesn't connect when iOS is updated until I thumb-unlock the iPhone.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I find that I have to wait a short while after starting the car for CarPlay to connect with my car. If I plug it in right away it doesn't connect. Sometimes when I do that I do have to stop car get out etc.
You do also have to "unlock".
Try waiting a bit - for me it is not plugging in till the stop sign at end of block.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I have long said that CarPlay is Apple's buggiest software in the past two decades.....

It is better than it used to be, but still not the quality product that Apple used to be known for.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
My CarPlay doesn't connect when iOS is updated until I thumb-unlock the iPhone.

I noticed the same in my 2019 Kia Soul. Usually unlocking the phone does the trick for me.

I would say this is a security feature, as there is quite a bit of info that could be accessed from CarPlay.

But, my cars with CarPlay don't always require me to unlock the phone prior to using CarPlay, just sometimes.

Reactions: Roberto Garcia

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
It's due to the USB Restricted Mode feature. If I have unlocked my iPhone within the last hour before getting in my car, it always connects right away. If I haven't, then I have to unlock it first before CarPlay will connect. If you toggle "USB Accessories" to ON, then you don't have to do that. If you leave it OFF (default setting), then you'll need to unlock it first.

usb-elcomsoft.jpg

Reactions: Roberto Garcia

dmrowley

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2010
Dortches, NC
Happens all of the time in my 2017 Honda Pilot.... Seems to have gotten better over the last year, but still occurs way more frequently than it should do....

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
The only issue I have with CarPlay cases not connecting is if the phone is locked and I have to activate the phone using face ID and then CarPlay kicks in to life

DynaFXD

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
East Coast
I have long said that CarPlay is Apple's buggiest software in the past two decades.....

It is better than it used to be, but still not the quality product that Apple used to be known for.
I don't disagree that it can be a headache. However, it is not always Apple's fault. I lay some of the blame at all the different car makes and radio makes out there, their programming as well as the hardware. CarPlay has to work with them all and if the other side doesn't want to dance, then we have to shake-rattle-and-roll to get a connection. I get much more irritated when Apple's own software won't work with their own hardware. For example, getting airplay to send a video from my phone to my Apple TV. Either to get it to go at all, or to not have it look like a slide show across a 1 gbs connection. Some times it works as advertised, others not so much. And let's not even talk about cloud sync that seems to work whenever it wants.

delo

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2010
The only issue I have with CarPlay cases not connecting is if the phone is locked and I have to activate the phone using face ID and then CarPlay kicks in to life
Can you please tell me how to add a song to up next using CarPlay? I long press on a song I want to play next and I don’t have the option to add to up next. Using CarPlay only.

delo

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2010
I find that I have to wait a short while after starting the car for CarPlay to connect with my car. If I plug it in right away it doesn't connect. Sometimes when I do that I do have to stop car get out etc.
Try waiting a bit - for me it is not plugging in till the stop sign at end of block.
Can you please tell me how to add a song to up next using CarPlay? I long press on a song I want to play next and I don’t have the option to add to up next. Using CarPlay only.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.