Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheDevler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2019
Really trying to find information on what of the new features can CarPlay supports? I messaged Apple support and they directed me to this article which makes no mention of CarPlay. I know these things are much more complex than assuming because my phone is supported that the CarPlay unit would be too. Maybe we can make the assumption wireless CarPlay wouldn't work but wired should right?

Perhaps somebody has experience with Spotify or Tidal's lossless tracks through CarPlay?

Thanks.

9512tacoma

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2013
I am wondering the same thing. I am wired and played a spatial audio playlist in way to work but I could not tell a difference in sound.

BleedingMe

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2011
In case of wired CarPlay, audio will be down-converted to 16-bit stereo @ 44.1/48kHz. In case of wireless CarPlay it will even get transcoded to AAC-LC.

TheDevler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2019
In case of wired CarPlay, audio will be down-converted to 16-bit stereo @ 44.1/48kHz. In case of wireless CarPlay it will even get transcoded to AAC-LC.
Where are those number published? Thanks. Would the same logic apply, if I disabled CarPlay and just used the regular music interface of my head unit ("iPod mode")? Or do I have to use an Aux cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.