Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seinman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2011
Philadelphia
Yes. Make sure you have Apple Maps installed and Siri enabled, or the new home screen won't work for you. This is the #1 most asked question I've seen about the iOS 13 betas. If you uninstall Apple Maps or disable Siri, there's no way to access this new feature.

Reactions: Cold_Beaver

Cold_Beaver

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2019
Yes. Make sure you have Apple Maps installed and Siri enabled, or the new home screen won't work for you. This is the #1 most asked question I've seen about the iOS 13 betas. If you uninstall Apple Maps or disable Siri, there's no way to access this new feature.

Thanks for the tip but I don’t do either one

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
Agreed .... I also live in a country where Apple Maps doesn’t support navigation.... come on Apple not everyone lives in the US !

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Seriously. As a dedicated Waze user, the dashboard, which is arguably the biggest CarPlay update this year, is completely useless to me.

attachment.php

It looks like crap anyway. Can’t stand looking at it. Never use it

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Why is is pink? My Dashboard is not pink.

With that said, I do hope/wish that Apple opens this up to third party maps... I, too, prefer Waze over both Google Maps and Apple Maps for navigation.

seinman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2011
Philadelphia
It looks like crap anyway. Can’t stand looking at it. Never use it

Mine looks a little better because my screen isn't as wide, so the panels on the right don't take up as much space. I also don't have the two dots below the panels, so they can extend further down. A one-size-fits-all approach, which is what Apple usually goes with, doesn't work as well when you have displays that are super wide or super tall, unfortunately.

Reactions: boltjames

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Mine looks a little better because my screen isn't as wide, so the panels on the right don't take up as much space. I also don't have the two dots below the panels, so they can extend further down. A one-size-fits-all approach, which is what Apple usually goes with, doesn't work as well when you have displays that are super wide or super tall, unfortunately.

The dots are there on mine, as well, though not as obvious/prominent as shown above. They actually represent the different "pages" of CarPlay icons. The first (left-most screen) is the Dashboard split-view screen. Scrolling to the right will take you to the standard desktop view with the app icons. I actually have three dots, because I have two pages of app icons. To go to the Dashboard view, you can push the little icon on the bottom left of the "recents" column OR just swipe left to get to it.

Also, the "recents" column is somewhat restricted, as it only shows one map app no matter how many you have or how recently you've used them... and the same for audio apps.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010

FA59-A8-BC-80-C7-4-FA8-9786-A984-F45-B35-A5.jpg

I’m happy with CarPlay 13 overall, Music looks great for example, but that Dashboard is just a big disappointment.

Reactions: seinman
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.